New Way To Carry Bikes/skis/etc Above The Bed

My pace edwards cover had special rails that accepted Thule accessories... but on my new truck i decided to get a different cover and went with the Bakflip HD. So i lost the use of my Thule load bars.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon the Thule TK14 adapters which are designed to mount Thule accessories to the sheet metal (or the TK13 for fiberglass).

Only downside is that i have to open my cover before putting the rack on if i want complete use of the bed; this wouldn't be neccessary with a roll-up cover... but its no big deal since it only takes 30 seconds to R&R the bike rack.

Some pics:

BikeRack005.jpg

BikeRack004.jpg

BikeRack006.jpg

BikeRack007.jpg

BikeRack008.jpg

BikeRack003.jpg

BikeRack009.jpg

BikeRack010.jpg

This free's up my bed space and takes less time than using the fork-mounted setups... this is how i have been getting my bikes around:

Bike002.jpg

Bike001.jpg

Great idea Sk1er18, not much into skiing anymore but I can also see other uses for it as well.

Sk1er18, I notice on your truck you have chrome trim pieces above your body side molding, they look sharp! Would you mind telling me more about them and where you got them? Thanks..........Irv

I just realized in all of those pics that i have the cover up against the cab.... Thats not required. If i want complete use of the bed AND rack, i'll fold it up as shown in the below pics. And with the bike rack on, i can still access the bed of the truck.... just with keeping the cover closed.

BikeRack2002.jpg

BikeRack2001.jpg

BikeRack2003.jpg

That would be perfect for my Salomon 181cm's. Nice...

Exactly! My 168 Volkl's don't even fit straight in my 5.5' bed... I wish we had a normal 6-6.5' short bed.

Edit: although im thinking of going down to a set of 164 Blizzard Magnums... something a little lighter and more responsive in the bumps (they should fit in the bed easily)

Thank Dale.

As for the chrome trim pieces- my truck is a Sierra Denali. I'd imagine that you could order the trim from the dealership.

Ahh, plus mine is an ext cab so I am sure the trim would be too long? Thanks for the info..........Irv

Sweet looking setup Matt. I also have the Bakflip cover on my truck and was looking for a better way to carry my bike. Usually I just take the front tire off and lay it flat in the bed but lose a fair amount of room doing that.

• 2 months later...

Quick update.

I got new bike racks because I didn't like the way those old ones clamped really low on my new bike, didn't seem very stable. Well, I purchased the Thule 594 side arm type and ended up having to move the front load bar waaaaaay back.

Instead of getting more adapters for the TK14 kit, I bought the TB60 rails, and now my load bars are adjustable:

July31001.jpg

July31002.jpg

July31007.jpg

• 1 year later...

How do the rails mount to the bedrails? I thought at first that they would go int he stake holes.

Thanks

Quick update.

I got new bike racks because I didn't like the way those old ones clamped really low on my new bike, didn't seem very stable. Well, I purchased the Thule 594 side arm type and ended up having to move the front load bar waaaaaay back.

Instead of getting more adapters for the TK14 kit, I bought the TB60 rails, and now my load bars are adjustable:

July31001.jpg

July31002.jpg

July31007.jpg

• 2 months later...

Another rack to consider --- if you have multiple bikes, is the one I use -- RempRack (www.RempRack.com). 5 bikes in 36" of space -- leaving much of the bed for other gear. We do a lot of biking while camping. So, this system provides an excellent way to transport all of our bikes while also pulling a trailer. We love it.

Archived