Go Karts

C & A s Dad

I have posted this on a couple of "go kart" forums but it seems they are more in tune to racing karts and have not been able to help me.

This is what I posted. Anyone here with any suggestions or experience?

Not long ago I was researching a hand gun and Jim (Zembonez) hooked me up with some people who were a big help. Thought I would try this as well.

I am trying to buy a good quality safe kart for my 9 yr old son and 8 yr old daughter.

Some facts that may help you in making some recommendations.

Would like to spend between 1500 and 2000

Prefer a US made product. I have looked at the many China carts but I know some are junk.

We live on 3.5 acres with some woods but plenty of room to ride

Not looking to race

Would like a suspension kart

I really like the Ken Bar SK 956 series but have not been a fan of Tecumseh engines in the past?

I want a 2 seater so they can ride together

I am mechanicaly inclined and have no issue iwth maintenance or repair.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I haven't looked at them closely but the last time I was in Northern Tools, they had a few two seater go karts in there. I definitely know that one of them was lifted a little bit from the ground. Personally I would get a golf cart cheap and install a lift on it with ATV rims.

Thanks John,

I looked into their site the other night. Unfortunately, Go Karts USA selling American Sports Works Karts means Made in China :dunno: , shipped here for "re- assembly" and "inspection"

This brand has some good looking karts but I am just not yet sold on their quality.

From what research I have done, some of the China karts are not too bad while others are complete junk.

I am going to do my homeword since I have a little time before Christmas.

Thanks John,

I looked into their site the other night. Unfortunately, Go Karts USA selling American Sports Works Karts means Made in China :dunno: , shipped here for "re- assembly" and "inspection"

Well isn't that crap.

That is a nice looking rig. However, I just broke the price of the go kart to my wife last night and she was a little bit surprised. The one that I am really leaning toward is about $1,700.00 with no elect. starter and the one with is about $1,900.00.

Here is a link Ken Bar to what I am looking at right now. All US Made in Georgia by a company that has been in business for years. A very simple design with a full suspension system that is designed to keep the engine stable. They claim that on rough ground, most suspension carts allow the engine to move up and down with the suspension which can affect the float in the carb and the oiling system.

Still looking but this one is on the top of my list right now.

That is a nice looking rig. However, I just broke the price of the go kart to my wife last night and she was a little bit surprised. The one that I am really leaning toward is about $1,700.00 with no elect. starter and the one with is about $1,900.00.

Here is a link Ken Bar to what I am looking at right now. All US Made in Georgia by a company that has been in business for years. A very simple design with a full suspension system that is designed to keep the engine stable. They claim that on rough ground, most suspension carts allow the engine to move up and down with the suspension which can affect the float in the carb and the oiling system.

That's a nice kart. Personally I like the B&S or Honda engines better. Whatever you do, I'd cut the throttle to about one half until they get really good at driving the thing. They won't know the difference and it'll be a lot safer. (just unsolicited advice from a guy that raised three invincible kids!)

Let us know what you end up with.

That's a nice kart. Personally I like the B&S or Honda engines better. Whatever you do, I'd cut the throttle to about one half until they get really good at driving the thing. They won't know the difference and it'll be a lot safer. (just unsolicited advice from a guy that raised three invincible kids!)

I guess slapping the hayabusa engine in is not a good idea. :thumbs:

:D

I guess slapping the hayabusa engine in is not a good idea. :thumbs:

Maybe not for this one. Have you seen some of the youtube vids with giant engined Karts? WOW! Looks like fun... until the Life Flight helicopter ride.

That is exactly what I plan to do. Move the cable so the throttle will open only about 50% and let them get really good at it. My son is pretty conservative and will be very cautious until he gets the hang of it. My daughter, she would have it wide open within 10 mins. :thumbs: I am hoping the full roll cage, high back seats and 3 pt harness along with helmets 100% of the time and absolutely no riding on the street will keep them reasonably safe.

I would agree about the engine. I have never been a Tecumseh fan. However, from doing a little reading, it seems their OHV PowerSport engine is very reliable. I have a generator with a Subaru Robin engine on it and from what I can tell, this may be one of the most durable small engines on the market although it is not as quiet as a Honda.

Archived