Steering Wheel Controls Work With Aftermarket Stereo?

Wondering how to do this and what all I need?? Done the system with the factory radio with the amp out put box that plugs into the speaker wire. Not to big of a fan of this due to the fact that you don't have the options that you would have with an aftermarket. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PAC makes a device called the SWI-X, which is a universal steering wheel control interface. It works with most vehicles and pretty much any cd player with a wireless remote. It costs about 50 bucks and works pretty well. I'd check www.pac-audio.com to make sure your truck will work with it, but it should. Check also on deck specific adapters, too. They are a direct connection to the player instead of using the infrared LED that the SWI-X uses.

I used the SWI-X in my '99 Grand Prix, worked well, I flush-mounted the LED in my center console. I took it out when I sold the car 3 years ago and it's just sitting in a box, I'm not sure if I'm planning to put in an aftermarket deck or not.

We'll i'll put my 2 cents in. I did my whole system in my truck about 5 months ago, ordered most of it thru ebay and crutchfield. I went with kenwood they always make solid decks, i got a KDCX791. Now does your truck have onstar? If yes there is a onstar compatible device which isn't worth much more coin. If no, then you need to get the pac swi-x (most likely) dont go with a IR output model, i've heard some nasty things about them and sunlight. and you need a data retention module to keep your door chimes in-tact. Cheers

Okay to lay it out... I have no OnStar or HD/ Satalite radio. I'm looking for a nice deck. I've gone with kenwood and alpine before and very pleased with both. the only reason i was going to go with alpine is that i have a set of 6 1/2 type R sitting in my garage. so i was going to get the 4x6 type s since they dont make the R's in a 4x6 and match with an Alpine deck, but i have heard (since i wont be amping the speakers) to go with infinity speakers. If i do that than i will probably go with a kenwood deck. Now with that said most of you are talking of the PAC SWI-X. Now I have noticed that crutchfield has the PAC SWI-JACK which Allows you to control select Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos with your factory steering wheel controls. Now is there something Special with the SWI-x that this one does not have?

Archived