Msd Or Taylor Spark Plug Wires?

I would like to replace the spark plug wires on my 1999 silverado that has 112,000 miles on stock wires. Are there any pros or cons, to these wires? Where would you purchase them and for how much?

I've ran both in my past vehicles. They are both great quality. Any of the 8mm will do as it's a very short coil to plug run. But I'm making an assumption that you have an LS based truck engine and that you don't have a "Classic" Silverado with a 5.7 Vortec. Although even with that engine, either brand's 8mm are a good choice. Taylor makes set in more colors, if you are into that sort of stuff.

I've ran both in my past vehicles. They are both great quality. Any of the 8mm will do as it's a very short coil to plug run. But I'm making an assumption that you have an LS based truck engine and that you don't have a "Classic" Silverado with a 5.7 Vortec. Although even with that engine, either brand's 8mm are a good choice. Taylor makes set in more colors, if you are into that sort of stuff.

Yes, new body for 1999, 5.3 L. check out my truck discription below. Where can you buy these wires for a good price? I already replaced the spark plugs with A/C delco 41-985 Irdium at 75,000 miles. I am noticing a slight vibration at idle, and thought wires may help.

A couple of things made me go for the Taylor Powervolt 8.2s.

1) My local speed shop does a lot of business with dirt track guys. He said the Taylors will far outlast the MSD wires under these conditions.

2) Taylors are all US made from US materials. I cannot be sure about the MSDs. It is my understanding though that they may be assemled in the US but the wire may be imported.

3) Call both of their customer service departments and just ask them a few questions or asked them why you should buy their wire over their competition. My experience was the folks at Taylor are real people who will answer your questions in a thorough and courteous manner. I will not elaborate but I made 2 calls to MSD and the experience was 180 degrees from what I just described.

I would like to replace the spark plug wires on my 1999 silverado that has 112,000 miles on stock wires. Are there any pros or cons, to these wires? Where would you purchase them and for how much?

I've run both in LS engines. Can't go wrong with either. With plug wires this short, (and not counting if one is damaged) they would basically have to be made out of mud to have an effect on performance. Go with whichever is cheapest and most convenient for you to get.

I've run both in LS engines. Can't go wrong with either. With plug wires this short, (and not counting if one is damaged) they would basically have to be made out of mud to have an effect on performance. Go with whichever is cheapest and most convenient for you to get.

Well, I'm willing to spend $75.+, for a wire better than stock. I also can order online, since it's not a rush to get. I've never bought wires before, I've sold, my 3 other trucks, before I had this maintence to do.

I've run Taylor, MSD, and OEM on various vehicles over the years, some modded, some not so much. In most cases, you're really not going to see any significant increases between them in... well, anything. Especially in stock to near-stock applications. Other than the added color under the hood and the obvious benefit of new wires. :uhoh:

Summit Racing or Jegs, not the absolute cheapest, but they both have no hassle order and service.

As another has mentioned, I try to buy from a local speed shop. Again not the cheapest but it's local and with great knowledge and service.

The Packard Electric wires that GM uses really isn't that bad for the stock LS engines. The BWD (Borg Warner) wires are very similar in quality to the OEM Packard's. This is based on what I think I remember from the many plug wire threads that I've read over the years about LS engine wires.

i had msd on my last truck for 3 years and now i've had msd on my 2000 5.3 for at least a year. ive had no real complaints with them, but my idle isn't as smooth as i would like either. new wires of any brand might not smooth out a rough idle.

i had msd on my last truck for 3 years and now i've had msd on my 2000 5.3 for at least a year. ive had no real complaints with them, but my idle isn't as smooth as i would like either. new wires of any brand might not smooth out a rough idle.

I have cleaned the throttle body, spark plugs at 75,000 miles, fuel filter every 30,000 miles, and thought I'd try the wires, to see if it helps. It's not a rough idle, But is noticable, as a slight vibration, at stoplights, for instance. The rpm's don't seem to change, but I do notice it every now and then.

I know it's not "cool" but if you got 115K out of the stock wires...why not get another set of them???...I certainly understand the "look" and admittedly higher quality/material boots on others but did you have the stockers all this time with no issues??????

Bill

I always use "stock" or "oem" wires on my daily drivers but me and everyone I race with use MSD. MSD heli-core wires (blue) are not really that good but their super conductor wires (red) have very low resistance. My longest wire on my race car is only 92 ohms. on a gen3 engine with coil packs, the wires would probably be like 20 ohms. I'm sure taylor are good too but I only know MSD.

Archived