My Brakes Keep Overheating

I have a serious problem with my brakes overheating. About two years ago (before my new rims and tires) the entire brake system had to be replaced because it had overheated and fried everything except the master cylinder. About two months ago, my front calipers started sticking and the brakes on the front end burned up and I had to have all brake components in the front as well as the the hub assemblies replaced. This morning I picked up my truck from the shop after having the rear rotors replaced (the were so warped they couldn't even be filed down) and new brake pads installed. I called around to different shops and no one seems to have heard of this problem before. My dad is dead convinced that it is because of my 33" tires, but this happened once before well before I got my new rims and tires installed. One of the shops I called said that to think the tires were causing it is crazy. The money that has been spent so far on brakes is half of my truck's blue book value, which is ridiculous. I am starting to consider selling my truck and getting a slightly newer one, but that is also a huge risk if I don't know the previous owner. I've contemplated slotted rotors since I have had the truck but I doubt that that would be enough alone to decrease heat buildup and the shop that I have been taking it to has once again convinced my dad that slotted rotors aren't worth the money. The next time they go out, should I just upgrade to a Baer kit or some other aftermarket brake kit? Will aftermarked kits dissipate enough heat? Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do about this?

Also, if anyone in the north Houston area knows of a good shop that will deal with brakes, let me know. I've looked everywhere and no one wants to deal with brakes. I called 4 Wheel Parts, but they don't do brakes and there really isn't anyone else that I would trust with my truck.

Personally, if I had $4500 in brake-only repairs, I'dve cut my losses about $4000 ago...Say see-ya to that truck or go to a four-wheel drive/lift-kit friendly shop who can diagnose it better...what brought on the original problems?

That is a little weird...too much brake boost off the master cylinder to the rest of the system????I agree with the above poster, take it to a specialized shop

What started the problem? I have no idea. I was thinking earlier today about how my shop said that last time (2 months ago) they refilled the brake system with DOT 4 brake fluid because it is better. However, the owner's manual calls for DOT 3. Would this make any difference or not?

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question and I'm not trying to be insulting, but..... Do you drive with one foot or two? I've known of people who drive with both feet (one for the gas, one for the brake), they will sometimes rest their other foot "on" or "against" the brake pedal, causing the brakes to drag a little.. That can definitely lead to your brakes overheating, warping, abnormally fast pad wear, etc..

Master cylinder has a port that releases pressure when you remove your foot. Badly adjusted pedal linkage not allowing mc to fully retract or a bad mc.

Ken

That's a good point. I'm taking the truck back in in a few days to do a follow-up inspection and I'll mention this to them to see if they can see if that's causing the problem.

does your truck have a factory proportioning valve for rear brake pressure? Maybe it is malfunctioning and causing bad pressures?

No idea.

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question and I'm not trying to be insulting, but..... Do you drive with one foot or two? I've known of people who drive with both feet (one for the gas, one for the brake), they will sometimes rest their other foot "on" or "against" the brake pedal, causing the brakes to drag a little.. That can definitely lead to your brakes overheating, warping, abnormally fast pad wear, etc..

I drive two-footed, but I usually leave my left foot off of the brake altogether unless I'm actually braking. I've always been conscious of not letting my foot rest on the brake pedal ever since I was about 8 and I got my first go-kart.

I drive two-footed, but I usually leave my left foot off of the brake altogether unless I'm actually braking. I've always been conscious of not letting my foot rest on the brake pedal ever since I was about 8 and I got my first go-kart.

Alright. No problemo! I know some people who drive two-footed who leave their foot "against" the pedal and they are unknowingly applying a little bit of pressure, causing some drag (and, thus, heat, brake wear, etc).

Good luck finding a solution! Like someone else said here, I probably would've given up loooong before I spent $4500 on the braking system.

Alright. No problemo! I know some people who drive two-footed who leave their foot "against" the pedal and they are unknowingly applying a little bit of pressure, causing some drag (and, thus, heat, brake wear, etc).

Good luck finding a solution! Like someone else said here, I probably would've given up loooong before I spent $4500 on the braking system.

+1. I agree 100%. Nothing more aggrivating,than not being able to figure it out. Hope you find the cure.

WOW... Do you drive like a drunk Indian?

GMT800 trucks are not known for brake problems... especially not like you mention. That said, If you drive a 5000 lb truck like a sports car, you can fry the living hell out of brakes. Without major brake upgrades they won't handle a "boy racer" driver.

I have a serious problem with my brakes overheating. About two years ago (before my new rims and tires) the entire brake system had to be replaced because it had overheated and fried everything except the master cylinder. About two months ago, my front calipers started sticking and the brakes on the front end burned up and I had to have all brake components in the front as well as the the hub assemblies replaced. This morning I picked up my truck from the shop after having the rear rotors replaced (the were so warped they couldn't even be filed down) and new brake pads installed. I called around to different shops and no one seems to have heard of this problem before. My dad is dead convinced that it is because of my 33" tires, but this happened once before well before I got my new rims and tires installed. One of the shops I called said that to think the tires were causing it is crazy. The money that has been spent so far on brakes is half of my truck's blue book value, which is ridiculous. I am starting to consider selling my truck and getting a slightly newer one, but that is also a huge risk if I don't know the previous owner. I've contemplated slotted rotors since I have had the truck but I doubt that that would be enough alone to decrease heat buildup and the shop that I have been taking it to has once again convinced my dad that slotted rotors aren't worth the money. The next time they go out, should I just upgrade to a Baer kit or some other aftermarket brake kit? Will aftermarked kits dissipate enough heat? Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do about this?

Also, if anyone in the north Houston area knows of a good shop that will deal with brakes, let me know. I've looked everywhere and no one wants to deal with brakes. I called 4 Wheel Parts, but they don't do brakes and there really isn't anyone else that I would trust with my truck.

Have the brake lines ever been replaced? Could have a collapsed one. Any kinks or bends in the hard lines?

GMT800 trucks are not known for brake problems... especially not like you mention. That said, If you drive a 5000 lb truck like a sports car, you can fry the living hell out of brakes. Without major brake upgrades they won't handle a "boy racer" driver.

I drive it very lightly and not at all aggressive. I use a "feather foot" on both the accelerator and the brakes.

Have the brake lines ever been replaced? Could have a collapsed one. Any kinks or bends in the hard lines?

All of the lines have been replaced twice, along with the entire brake system (minus the master cylinder).

I am thinking bad return valve in master cylinder os mis-adjusted brake rod from pedal.

A real off the wall possibility... the traction control is screwed up and applying brakes while you drive. Therefore causing excessive heat and wear.

Archived