93 6.5 Turbo 5 Speed

here is my problem i hope one or some of you can help me with i have a 93 6.5 turbo that is only getting 13 mpg and the turbo isnt realy sounding out the way it use to to the mater at hand i would realy like to find a way to get more mpg because at 4.49 pg its hard to drive and any sugestions as to what i can do would realy help and the turbo when i bought the truck the turbo sounded out but now its not wistling i guess you would say and i cant feel the power i took the air box off and placed my hand to the air intake and it has suction but it just doesnt sound right to me

post-49317-1208219611_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
here is my problem i hope one or some of you can help me with i have a 93 6.5 turbo that is only getting 13 mpg and the turbo isnt realy sounding out the way it use to to the mater at hand i would realy like to find a way to get more mpg because at 4.49 pg its hard to drive and any sugestions as to what i can do would realy help and the turbo when i bought the truck the turbo sounded out but now its not wistling i guess you would say and i cant feel the power i took the air box off and placed my hand to the air intake and it has suction but it just doesnt sound right to me

Hmm dude even if you got it tuned up and in prime running shape again how great is the MPG gonna get? Might want to look into a beater car that gets 30mpg so you dont have to drive the truck around all the time!!

Im sorry man I wish I could offer you more help, but a 3500 is never gonna get that great of mileage.

As far as the turbo goes, you can remove it and check it to see if the impeller spins free and smooth, and check for shaft play. Wiggle the thing around, if it wiggles at all its going bad, there should be no play. You can check the oulet to see if theres a ton of oil there, if turbo bearing is shot there will be excessive oil.

You can also check any lines running to and from the turbo, (i dont know what those trucks look like) for cracks and leaks, Im just telling you the basic turbo stuff, not vehicle specific, but they pretty much do apply to all turbos.

Archived