Bully Dog Triple Dog Gas Tuner

I have searched and read about every word written about tuners including all of the reasons to do a custom tune. I am sure this is the best option for max perf.

However, I am still doing my research and would like to know if anyone has any experience at all with the Bully Dog Triple Gas Tuner on a 5.3L 800 series GM truck or SUV?

I would appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks,

My brother has the deisel triple dog and display, he is selling it, apparentley in our town no one is dealing them anymore either, because their tunes are bad, giving power at wrong times and causing alot of damage to vehicles, which is to bad, so he might have a hard time selling it, my brother is having engine ( injector and turbo ) problems, so this doesn`t say the gas ones are bad, but they must have rushed the product to the market without enough real R&D seat time to make things work efficiently, i recomend flashpacs from superchips, i have an old micromax tuner and a new flashpac for a deisel, i have no problems with each and have had them for 5 (micromax) and 3 (flashpac) years, but i`m currentley dealing with a westers tuner to see if his programs have more power than the superchips products, i`ll be finding that out hopefully this weekend.

Thanks Clancy,

I just spoke with a Dealer/Installer located about 80 miles from my home. He is a dealer for Hypertech, Superchips, Diablo, Bullydog, Granatelli etc. He said he has installed literally hundreds of these units and he has 2 favorites. The Superchips and the Bullydog Triple Dog Gas. He likes these two because of bang for the buck and a lack of issues. He said he had never had one single customer complaint or comeback with either the BD Triple Dog Gas or the Power Pup. He also likes it because you can load either of the tunes and it gives you the option of changing transmission settings or leaving them at stock. Many people, myself included, really do not want to increase shift firmness. My Tow/Haul mode does just fine when I am towing and that is really why a want a tuner to begin with, to help me when towing. He went own to say that the brand he likes the least is an excellent unit in terms of producing power but, it also has the most issues with customer complaints.

I am hoping one of our members has a BD and can chime in here with some real user info.

I think you know I want a HH for a couple of reasons. ( I want to be able to install and remove the tune when I want) As of today, I have two options with a custom tune installed in a HH unit. Jesse offers a SCT unit and I think my other option is Westers with a Diablo Predator. I am really running a little scared of the Diablo at this point because of what seems to be too many issues I have read about. I plan to go back to Jesse again to discuss what he can do for me with the SCT.

However, in the mean time, I have still been researching all of my options and came across the Bully Dog. The Installer I mentioned above is a good customer of one of our stores and speaks very highly of the unit. I realize if I go this route I will be leaving some perf on the table. Please remember, I am just looking to pick up some extra TQ and HP for towing my camper and I am not looking for all out high RPM screaming power. Also, I am looking for something that comes with zero issues and it seems many of the custom tunes have to be dialed in to get them right meaning sending the ECM back and forth. I aslo know many are satisfied with their custom tune the first time around.

I am still looking and researching.

I had a Bully Dog Triple Dog Downloader for my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins. I really liked it. Like you mentioned, you can download it and remove it as necessary. But, you won't ever be stuck with "last year's" technology because you can upgrade the handheld programmer for free whenever there is a new release from Bully Dog just by plugging your handheld into your computer and going to the Bully Dog website. So, you'll never have to worry about buying another one in the future to get the latest releases.

Thanks Dan, I have a store owner (Customer) who is a Bully Dog dealer and he has sold many of the Diesel units and loves them. He lives in a rural farm area and there are few gas burners in his market so he has never sold a gas unit.

They have been very responsive to the 2 e mails I sent them and have answered all of my questions and concerns.

I was hoping someone on the forum had a gas unit and could share their experience. I did find a member who has one but he is not active and not responding to a PM.

We well see.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

My brother has the BD Powerpups on his 02 reg cab sb 2wd and 05 Suburban 4X4 and loves them...says the Sub mpg is up by 4.

He had aHypertech on the 02 and says the BD is better.

The reason no one has the Tripledog yet is probably cuz the software was only recently released for the 07 and up.

I have not ordered the Hypertech yet because I am waiting on a supplier partnership that will save me some $s. I looked hard at the Bulldog unit but cannot get comfortable with thier dyno sheet and info. They were very nice when I contacted them but their dyno sheet reports info begining at approx 3,400 RPMs and the info is very inconsistent with dyno sheets from Hypertech or Superchips.

I would be very interested in knowing you your brother is towing with either truck and what his experience with that has been?

If I had a diesel, there is no lack of Bullydog users, but the gas users are few and far between.

• 2 years later...

I just purchased the bully dog triple dog gt gas tuner today, after the installation of the software on the truck it completely disables my electronic 4-wheel drive selector. after an hour on the phone with tech support they managed to fix the problem but had to return the truck to stock for now until they build me a custom tune, since they have never ran into this problem before.

Archived