How To Change Instrument Cluster Bulbs?

I have a 2003 Yukon XL SLT with 105,000 miles on it and one or two of the bulbs inside the instrument cluster seem to have gone out. I pulled the cluster out of the car, but can't figure out how to disassemble it so I can get to the bulbs. Can someone help me out here?

I have a 2003 Yukon XL SLT with 105,000 miles on it and one or two of the bulbs inside the instrument cluster seem to have gone out. I pulled the cluster out of the car, but can't figure out how to disassemble it so I can get to the bulbs. Can someone help me out here?

Good luck...if it's like my Impala the bulbs are soldered into the cluster.

I have a 2000 and my bulbs can be replaced by untwisting the old ones from the back of the clustrer. I replaced mine with LED bulbs. I have heard (but not seen) that on the 2003 - up models, the bulbs are soldered into the cluster. You might have to find a shop that will do it for you unless you are willing to do it yourself. I bet someone on this forum has done this repair so it shouldn't be long before a reply is added. If you accomplish the repair yourself, might I suggest you add it to the Tech Wiki area so others may benefit from your directions/advice.

I have a 2000 and my bulbs can be replaced by untwisting the old ones from the back of the clustrer. I replaced mine with LED bulbs. I have heard (but not seen) that on the 2003 - up models, the bulbs are soldered into the cluster. You might have to find a shop that will do it for you unless you are willing to do it yourself. I bet someone on this forum has done this repair so it shouldn't be long before a reply is added. If you accomplish the repair yourself, might I suggest you add it to the Tech Wiki area so others may benefit from your directions/advice.

Your right. I think I had a 1/4 turn socket or something that I turned out then soldered it into that. It has been about 6 years or so. It is hard to remember correctly. I know the dealer wanted to replace it with a new one though for a high price and I thought I'll try to repair it first and it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=445213&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-445213">

Removal Procedure

Important: This procedure calls for the replacement of incandescent bulbs only. The light emitting diodes (LEDs) are not replaceable individually. If LED or soldered-in incandescent bulb replacement is needed, send the cluster to an AC Delco Service Center. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .

1. <LI type=1>Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster. Refer to
Instrument Cluster Replacement .
367197.gif
tif.gif
<LI type=1>Unclip the I/P cluster rear cover plate by prying gently on the tabs with a screwdriver.
348651.gif
tif.gif
<LI type=1>Remove the rear cover plate from the I/P cluster.
368778.gif
tif.gif
<LI type=1>Remove the bulb and base assembly by turning the bulb 1/2 turn counter clockwise and pulling outward.
Remove the bulb from the base by pulling outward.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=445213&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-445213">

Installation Procedure

Important: This procedure calls for the replacement of incandescent bulbs only. The light emitting diodes (LEDs) are not replaceable individually. If LED or soldered-in incandescent bulb replacement is needed, send the cluster to an AC Delco Service Center. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .

1. 397712.gif
tif.gif
<LI type=1>Install the bulb to the base. <LI type=1>Install the bulb into the cluster by inserting the bulb and base assembly and turning the bulb 1/2 turn clockwise.
348651.gif
tif.gif
<LI type=1>Carefully snap the rear cover plate to the I/P cluster.
Install the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .

I never asked anyone is there a problem republishing gm stuff I looked around the site and found plenty of diagrams and bullitens so I didn't think there was a problem with it. If there is I'll stop, I don't want to get into trouble trying to help someone save a buck.

no I dont care, I never would, matter of fact, I used to do this practically every day (look at the tech wiki - I posted most of that stuff) What I was gonna say is could you help me figure out how to post the vin cards as well, I have been working to try to compress them to get them online for everybody to have......you do whatever, from time to time, I will post requested information (My dealerworld login is still active) - post all you can, I know you will be helping me and MS3DALE out (Rich)......

Archived