Installed Diablo Predator Programmer On 6.0l Gas

davzog

Well, I received my Diablo Predator and got it all set up ($299 online)....a few times. It is fun to just play with and I reloaded and remodified the program about six times, and will probably make a few more changes to "try" stuff!!! Many of the options I won't mess with because I have no idea what they are for....Diablo places a lot of warnings on the screen indicating that you might not want to change too many things.

Ok, so it plugs right in and comes to life. First, I downloaded the factory program, and opted for the 87 octane tune.

Then I changed the wheel/tire size to match my 265x70x17's, and the speedometer is perfect. The shift points did re-adjust to the original places, but then I changed the shift points to lower the rpm to save a tad of fuel...hope that works.

Drove the truck and like the firmer shifting, and there was a minor feeling of running a little better. Then I turned off the torque management and the abuse mode, (I don't believe it turns it off completely, but not sure).

Drove the truck again, and it seemed a little peppier...before the Diable, when the engine was cold in the morning, it seemed like I was towing an anchor the first mile or so, until it warmed up. That has pretty much gone away. It seems to run better and drive better...maybe wishful thinking, but mpg seems better, though I have not checked it yet...would like to gain 5 mpg, but might be more like 1-1.5...ha ha.

For anyone else contemplating this mod, be aware that all of the performance HYPE is just that. Yep, it does run somewhat better, and it shifts quicker, but it definitely does not blow your doors off like the advertisements might seem to imply. I also have a Brute Force CAI and a Flowmaster 50 series big block muffler....both look and sound cool, but very little in the way of HP or MPG.

The truck is more driveable in my opinion, but not a superstar performer....it is still a 7000 pound 6.0L V8 built for towing and not performance, so the minor gains are appreciated. I think I recovered most of the lost power from the change to oversize tires, which changed my drive ratio from 4.10 to about 3.87 or so. I have not had a chance to tow with it yet, and probably won't until spring (5th wheel is put away).

Glad gas came down a little so I can drive it more...ha ha.

P.S. Now that it is the Christmas season, I am thinking about a set of shorty headers......

Yeah, I would like to hear a follow up report. Especially on the milage because I should have one of those diablosports sitting on the front porch pretty soon for my 6.0l. I mainly want the extra milage, and the ability to adjust for my tire size. What did you set your shift points at? Mine likes to shift at around 2300 or 2500 rpms as of now with the 285's.

i got one when i bought a new 03 2500hd with 6.0 they sent me several programs and all it seemed to do was make the tranny shift harder,i never seen any improvements in mpg,when i sold the truck the guy that bought it said he wasent interested in it so now i have a very exspensive code reader :D

Hello,

Newbie here. I recently purchased a 2005 2500HD CC with a 6.0 and a 4.10 rear end with 25,000mi. When I got it it had cat back duals, an Air Raid filter but no intake tube and a spacer block on the intake. I am about to pull the trigger on a Diablo but I wanted more info. From what I had heard the 97 octane program is the one that shows the most gains in performance and mpg. If you play with that program please give us an update. I would rather hear from someone that bought the programmer rather than the people selling them. I got the truck to pull a 5200lb(empty) toy hauler. Any info or help would be appreciated.

so i've read that intakes are a waste of money programmers don't really do anything and exhaust has minimal gains. what is the real trick to waking up the 6.0 mine has been dogish since the day i bought it. a friend has the same truck with the same motor and when he drove mine said it didn't feel like it had near the pull of his. I've change the fuel filter with no difference(heard these need change on a regular basis) plus it has allways had a slightly eractic idle.

so i've read that intakes are a waste of money programmers don't really do anything and exhaust has minimal gains. what is the real trick to waking up the 6.0 mine has been dogish since the day i bought it. a friend has the same truck with the same motor and when he drove mine said it didn't feel like it had near the pull of his. I've change the fuel filter with no difference(heard these need change on a regular basis) plus it has allways had a slightly eractic idle.

do both trucks have the same gear ratio?

Get a Custom tune for that 6.0. Period. It woke mine up alot. The handheld programmers make meager changes compared to a tune. PM me for a good tuner if you are interested and I can tell you more.

Archived