How Many Tire Chains To Use On A 2wd?

A few days ago, I was headed into work, and the road just turned into a solid sheet of ice. I got to within a few hundred yards of the summit that I needed to get over, and I just couldn't go any more. About that time, another guy in a 4WD came up next to me, and offered to try to pull me over the hill. I got out of my truck, and went to the front to start clearing the snow and ice off of my tow hooks so that he could try to help me over. As I was doing that, my truck lost traction, and started sliding down the hill, with no one in it. Luckily it hit a small patch of gravel that was enough to bring it to a stop. In the end, neither of us were able to get up over the hill, it was just too icy.

That led me to the conclusion that I really do need to buy a set of tire chains for my truck. Should I get 1 pair, for just the back wheels, or a pair for both the front and back? I'm afraid that if I just have a pair on the back wheels, I won't be able to steer if I need to, but the truck's manual specifically says not to use chains on the front.

Does anyone know the reason they don't want you using them on the front? Should I use them on the front anyways? Most of the times I would need chains, it is in icy conditions like this, on roads with a lot of hairpin turns where I need to be able to steer good.

One problem that i've run into in a friend's truck w/2wd and chains on the rear was that their is not enough weight in the back to really grab the ice even with chains on. We had to load the bed up with "stuff" just to get the weight up.

If you put them on the front with 2wd you still wouldn't move because your drive wheel will be slipping

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already got quite a bit of sand in the bed of my truck right now. It helps quite a bit in the snow & slush, but we've got a lot more ice than usual this year.

I would do what the manual says. When you stopped your tires melted the ice causing your truck to slide on the water between the tires and the ice, always a hazard when stopped on an icy hill. Z-link chains will prevent this. It's happened to me, it kinda sucks watching your truck slide down the hill without you.

The reason you dont want them on the front is because if it is really icy, they can actually keep the front wheels from rolling, because the chain will act like a chock. This would make it impossible to steer.

The key to steering on really icy surfaces, is to steer very slowy, just make very small adjustments to the angle of the wheel so the tires keep rolling, rather than slipping.

It is the same principal with anti-lock brakes. You have better control with a rolling wheel, than a skidding wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already got quite a bit of sand in the bed of my truck right now. It helps quite a bit in the snow & slush, but we've got a lot more ice than usual this year.

The BEST solution is to move down here! We have a LOT of semiconductor and software businesses here and you could land a job where it never gets much below 40 degrees!

WOO HOO! I'm taking my boat to the lake today!

EDIT: On the RARE event that it does get a little icy here.. you should SEE the moron patrol out for a drive! It's best to stay home and let those idiots (which we have plenty of also) go out and kill a few cars. Pretty entertaining just to watch.

The BEST solution is to move down here! We have a LOT of semiconductor and software businesses here and you could land a job where it never gets much below 40 degrees!

WOO HOO! I'm taking my boat to the lake today!

EDIT: On the RARE event that it does get a little icy here.. you should SEE the moron patrol out for a drive! It's best to stay home and let those idiots (which we have plenty of also) go out and kill a few cars. Pretty entertaining just to watch.

Agreed. And if it stays icy for long here, pretty soon they will all have wrecked their cars and its then safe to out.

Yep, I'm hoping for another ICE day before "winter" is over. So far, doesn't seem like it... but ya never know.

As for tons of tech jobs, well, I know plenty of folks that would disagree. :rollin: Lets just say you'd better make sure you've got something locked in before moving!

Interesting comment about the chains and wheels just spinning because the bed didn't have enough weight in it. I use cable chains on mine and have had pretty good luck. Like the other poster said, put a bunch of weight in the back (like 700 pounds or so, maybe more). I use 50 pound bags of gravel.

Archived