Superchips Flashpaq

Installed a Superchips Flashpaq in my 07 Classic 2500HD last week and I was pretty impressed with the difference it made in my truck. Now I know there will be hundreds that say it doesn't comapre to a custom tune and I know that and have done more than my share of research. The Superchips fit my needs best for what I use my truck for. If I wanted a cutom tune done I would take it to my buddy's perf shop and put it on a dyno and have it dyno tuned by him, but I don't want all that out of my truck.

I decided to go the tuner route first before I do the usual CAI and exhaust just to see how much a tune actually adds and it adds quite a bit. It's the only perf mod I have in the truck right now. I'll eventually do a CAI and exhaust, but I've been quite happy with the Flashpaq and I really like how I can just get updates off the website and tune the truck.

Diablo would have had my business, but they said their programmer didn't support engine code "U" for the 2007 Classic and the tuner wouldn't work so I had to return it. They also told me they had no idea when they would have tuner that would work so I went back to Superchips since I had good luck with them on my 03 1500.

What's funny is now that I returned the Diablo they now say they support my truck and they told AutoAnything.com where I bought it that they never said that. Beware of Diablo in my opinion.

Anyway, the Flashpaq gets the thumbs up from me if anyone is looking for some added perf out of their truck w/o going the custom tune route.

the shop I go to has sold a million different kinds over the years. They've seen all kinds of results (some good and some really bad), and now only sell Superchips for gas engines. I added the CAI and exhaust and now, I'm making the case with my wife for a Superchip.

What kind of performance increase did you see (hp and mileage)?

the shop I go to has sold a million different kinds over the years. They've seen all kinds of results (some good and some really bad), and now only sell Superchips for gas engines. I added the CAI and exhaust and now, I'm making the case with my wife for a Superchip.

Not sure about the hp increase because I haven't dynoed it, but I can tell you that with the 87 tune my wife could tell a huge difference. The truck pulls so much harder and the throttle response is much improved. I haven't had it in long enough to notice a mileage increase yet. I sepnt some time on the Flashpaq forum and Superchips posted some dyno numbers for my identical truck but an 06 model - same "U" engine code and here are the dyno numbers their tech posted:

2006 "U" code VIN

Perf =37hp and 36ftlbs of torque to the wheels

87octane=34hp and 30 ftlbs of torque

tow perf= no data did not do test at the time

I know I can definitely tell the truck feels liks a whole different truck and to have my wife notice it too was a plus. My wife couldn't believe how much faster the truck was and how much harder it pulled. To me it was worth the money. Fell free to go on www.flashpaq.com and look around - do some research - I did.

I think the biggest question I have to answer is: if it's so much better with the chip, why didn't it come off the lot like that?

It's my belief that GM detunes these from the factory for many reasons - GM is konw for under rating the hp #'s of their vehicles and these trucks were meant to be workhorses and work all the time. If you free up that much hp and tq off the bat, I beleive wear and tear then become an issue over the long haul. Not to mention if GM did this from the factory there are a lot of aftermarket companies that would be out of business and folks like Saleen, SLP, Rousch, Steeda, etc. wouldn't have as much to offer. Personally I like doing aftermarket things to the truck to get more out of it. GM knows the potential it's motors have.

I think the biggest question I have to answer is: if it's so much better with the chip, why didn't it come off the lot like that?

GM detunes them from the factory for 1 reason... longevity!!!! The less wear & tear prevents them from having to cover warranty repairs.

• 1 month later...

GM detunes them from the factory for 1 reason... longevity!!!! The less wear & tear prevents them from having to cover warranty repairs.

What did you guys put in for your settings when going thru the perf/87 octane tune? I went with whatever Superchips recomended, but when I turned the truck on for the first time an alarm went off and said "Reduced Engine Power". Did this happen to anyone else?

If you could post your settings, that would be great!

Not sure about the hp increase because I haven't dynoed it, but I can tell you that with the 87 tune my wife could tell a huge difference. The truck pulls so much harder and the throttle response is much improved. I haven't had it in long enough to notice a mileage increase yet. I sepnt some time on the Flashpaq forum and Superchips posted some dyno numbers for my identical truck but an 06 model - same "U" engine code and here are the dyno numbers their tech posted:

2006 "U" code VIN

I know I can definitely tell the truck feels liks a whole different truck and to have my wife notice it too was a plus. My wife couldn't believe how much faster the truck was and how much harder it pulled. To me it was worth the money. Fell free to go on www.flashpaq.com and look around - do some research - I did.

Hey Bruce,

Where did you get those gain #'s? They don't match with what's up on the Superchips website.

Click Here

Hey Jimmy, the question you asked about the horsepower and torque specs

2006 "U" code VIN

These were given to me also from ron @ superchips when I asked him about my combo.Actually it might even be the same post. I think the that the towing setting gives more of a boost than the 87 performance setting.To see some of the specs and questions go to www.flashpaq.com and to the forums page.

The "reduced engine power" message is normal when you program the truck.It must be GM's way of telling you that you shouldn't screw with the computer and make you wonder if what you did will have some negative effects.

Fred,

What happened after the "Reduce Engine Power" message came up? Does it simply show up once, then go away, or does it appear every time you start the vehicle. Also, the gains shown aren't the same as the gains on the Superchips website??? Those #'s look a lot like the gains for the old Superchips unit #2716.

"Reduced Engine Power" only shows up during the programming portion. You never see it again until you update or reprogram.

BTW: I have the same Truck with Engine "U". I could not get a custom tune, so I went with a handheld. I was told to stay away from Hypertech... but Diablo was better than Superchip. I went with Superchip because of the "Tow" tune feature. I'm getting 15 MPG City and 18 MPG's on the highway.

I had asked ron @ super chips about my truck which has the vin code"U". The numbers above are the ones he gave me for my truck. Read this forum because this can help understand the numbers better. http://www.flashpaq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1106 Hope this helps.

Fred....question,

As far as those #'s are concerned, I mean there really isn't that big of a difference between the 87 tune and the 91 perf., tune, but did RON at Superchips mention whether you can tow using the 87 tune??? Or, does any towing need to be done using the tow perf., tune???

My last conversation with ron @ superchip's was with my particular situation towing a 10000 lbs. enclosed race trailer he did not recommend anything except the towing setting and to make sure I use 91 or better octane fuel. I leave me truck on the towing program all the time and I use 87 octane fuel in it for around town driving. But, when I tow I use the better fuel. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. As a matter of fact I think I get better mileage this way too. maybe 1-2 mpg better when not towing.

Archived