bully dog tuner

Hey guys i have had my tuner installed for some time now but there was no indication on what octane to use so i had been using regular and trying to get ahold of bullydog, well i found out today that i should have been running 91 or higher. o crap! Have i been hurting anything. Ive had it like a month this way. He said thats where ill see my mileage improvments and HP gains, i didnt tell him i have been using regular all this time because i didnt want to sound like an idiot. Any opinions?

Hey guys i have had my tuner installed for some time now but there was no indication on what octane to use so i had been using regular and trying to get ahold of bullydog, well i found out today that i should have been running 91 or higher. o crap! Have i been hurting anything. Ive had it like a month this way. He said thats where ill see my mileage improvments and HP gains, i didnt tell him i have been using regular all this time because i didnt want to sound like an idiot. Any opinions?

the only thing that you should notice is "pinging" at higher RPM's. and its not the best for your engine.

does the tuner have a lower octane setting on it? or a lower tune?

I run my SuperChips tuner on the lowest setting so i can still run 87 octane, if i want to bump it up i just pour in a bottle of octane booster.

• 3 years later...

i have the Bullydog GT on my 06' and it has 3 settings, Performance, Regular and stock. the only time you need premium fuel is when your running the programmer on performance mode, and if your on performance you definately need to upgrade a few things to get the most out of that mode. it wont hurt the engine any if at all if you havent been hammering on it with a lower octane. i run mine in regular mode and it has pleanty of power for what i use it for. if you have anyother questions feel free to ask

i have the Bullydog GT on my 06' and it has 3 settings, Performance, Regular and stock. the only time you need premium fuel is when your running the programmer on performance mode, and if your on performance you definately need to upgrade a few things to get the most out of that mode. it wont hurt the engine any if at all if you havent been hammering on it with a lower octane. i run mine in regular mode and it has pleanty of power for what i use it for. if you have anyother questions feel free to ask

I am very seriously thinking about picking up a Bullydog GT tuner for my 3/4ton with the 6.0 in it. I am leaning toward it over Super Chips, Hyper Tech, etc., because it also includes a heads up display that allows for constant monitoring of engine parameters.

What noticeable gains have you received from the tuner, be they performance, power, and or improved mileage? Ideally, I would like to improve my mileage for daily driving (unloaded), and my power for towing. Does it display transmission temps? Can you adjust for larger than stock tire size? Also does it display fuel economy?

Thanks for the input.

• 4 months later...

I am very seriously thinking about picking up a Bullydog GT tuner for my 3/4ton with the 6.0 in it. I am leaning toward it over Super Chips, Hyper Tech, etc., because it also includes a heads up display that allows for constant monitoring of engine parameters.

What noticeable gains have you received from the tuner, be they performance, power, and or improved mileage? Ideally, I would like to improve my mileage for daily driving (unloaded), and my power for towing. Does it display transmission temps? Can you adjust for larger than stock tire size? Also does it display fuel economy?

Thanks for the input.

I have the Bully Dog Power Pup for my '03 2500 with the 6.0. I have noticed my MPG's go from the 12 range up to the mid to upper 14 range. With mine, you are able to adjust for different gears and tires. As for the GT tuner I am not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the timing in the tune is pushed extraordinarily, which it probably isn't, as they are recommending 91 octane as opposed to 93, chances are you didn't do much of anything in terms of damage.

Now, however, you probably weren't realizing the maximum benefit of the tune. The knock sensors will cause timing to be pulled if they detect knock. Most likely, if you were rompin' it hard, and were running lower octane gas than recommended, the control just pulled out timing until the knock was below the control threshhold. This, in turn, decreases horsepower.

Now, if you were to log some knock retard data with 89 gas, you would probably see a boatload of it ---- certainly much more than you would with 91 gas, if there were any at all with 91.

Knock sensors today are pretty darn good, and the controls are as well. They can compensate and allow the engine to tolerate fairly significant mismatches in timing vs. octane and pre-ignition (knock) in general.

I think you are fine.

Thanks for the input.

I have the Bully Dog Power Pup for my '03 2500 with the 6.0. I have noticed my MPG's go from the 12 range up to the mid to upper 14 range. With mine, you are able to adjust for different gears and tires. As for the GT tuner I am not sure.

The gauges and fuel mileage monitor is probably the best part of the unit. You can monitor 4 gauges at once, like twelve to choose from. i use regular engine, performance tranny. you can adjust for tire size, gear ratios etc. Great gauge monitor, 4 out of 10 programmer.

• 1 month later...

sorry its been awhile since my last response, been away training. i run mine on the regular setting and my fuel milage increased from 12mpg to18mpg hwy. i drive 60miles round trip to work 6 days a week (when im home) and running 90mph up and down the hills of Northwest arkansas i still average 18 hwy. i have had increases of 24-26mpg on a few trips to dallas. (running 90) i could get alot more mpg's if i ran 68-70 but my foot is a little more heavy than that. i have noticed a huge difference in the torqe and seat pull since installing the BD tuner/spectre intake. im picking up a set of pacesetter LT headers friday and will install them on monday and retune the programmer. i will definately let you know what happens.

sorry its been awhile since my last response, been away training. i run mine on the regular setting and my fuel milage increased from 12mpg to18mpg hwy. i drive 60miles round trip to work 6 days a week (when im home) and running 90mph up and down the hills of Northwest arkansas i still average 18 hwy. i have had increases of 24-26mpg on a few trips to dallas. (running 90) i could get alot more mpg's if i ran 68-70 but my foot is a little more heavy than that. i have noticed a huge difference in the torqe and seat pull since installing the BD tuner/spectre intake. im picking up a set of pacesetter LT headers friday and will install them on monday and retune the programmer. i will definately let you know what happens.

I think its almost impossible to average 24-26 going 90. And I think it would be slim even it you had a single cab with a bed cover and lowered.

Archived