Tool box

MOST BOXES FIT ALL TRUCKS. IF YOU GO TO EBAY YOU CAN FIND THEM CHEAP.

ALSO YOU MAY WANT TO REENFORCE THE BED RAILS PER GM TSB

Document ID# 1684149

2001 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Service VME - Pickup Box Sheet Metal Fracture/Damage with Aftermarket Accessories Installed - keywords 01-08-66-014A bed bend body box break broken endgate panels #PIT3658 - (07/13/2005)

Models: 1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado

1999-2006 GMC Sierra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

SERVICE VME

We have recently received inquiries regarding the continued use of cargo box reinforcement brackets for top rail mounted add-on accessories on 2004-2006 model year GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado Pickups. Please refer to Bulletin # 01-08-66-014A of August 2002, which specifies vehicle identification number breakpoints. Accordingly, bracket usage on pickups built after August, 2002 is not recommended with one exception: the 1500 Crew Cab models with 5 ft 8 inch box length. Related details for this model, including rail mounted accessory weight capacities, will be in a revised version of the above listed bulletin in the near future, and are already in section 4 of the Owners Manual.

Note: The cargo box reinforcement brackets can be added to vehicle built after August 2002 for vehicles with extraordinary or severe duty use. The reinforcement kit would be installed at the discretion of the owner and also at the owner's expense.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I think what it is bulletin is referring to is the boxes that mount to the top of the side rails and conventional toolboxes that go across the bed. Putting too much weight above the bed rails could cause them to buckle. I have probably a hundred pounds of chains, binders, jack, and various trailer hitches and have had to problem with my crossover tool box.

Del, you have to get a shallow crossover to fit. A deep one will not clear the wheels wells. I found this out after I bought a deep one on discount at Home Depot. Luckily, my brother had a shollow tool box on his truck, so we switched.

WHAT HAPPENS IS WITH THE ADDED WEIGHT AND THE TRUCK BOUNCING UP AND DOWN IT STARTS TO MUSHROOM THE SIDE BED RAILS AND BREAKS THE WELD. ALSO WHEN TURNING THE BOX PUSHES ON THE SIDE RAILS BREAKING THE WELDS

2164061_42_full.gif

THIS WILL HELP TO REENFORCE THE BED

2164061_43_full.gif

What is the part number on these wonder brackets and will they work with a rhino liner and factory bed rail caps???

:edit: Hell i had over 500lbs of crap in the toolbox on my 03 ranger and i beat the crap out of that thing and never had a problem

:edit 2: alright the TSB is written funky, appearantley these brackets are only needed for trucks built between 99-2002 unless used for "extreme duty"

What they didn't do in the 800's with the beds, they sure figured it out on the GMT-900s. The reinforcements they did in the CC 1500 I have is almost overkill for the size bed it is. The c-channel bed accessory option is even advertising it can hold 500 lbs.

I remember hearing some years back from people that GM vehicles were not great in this area especially with over the cab racks such as what painters might use. Heavy loads cave them in.

I work in the construction industry and a lot of people mount the truck boxes to the floor that carry extreme loads

What is the part number on these wonder brackets and will they work with a rhino liner and factory bed rail caps???

:edit: Hell i had over 500lbs of crap in the toolbox on my 03 ranger and i beat the crap out of that thing and never had a problem

:edit 2: alright the TSB is written funky, appearantley these brackets are only needed for trucks built between 99-2002 unless used for "extreme duty"

That's the way I interpreted the TSB...the brackets are not to be used with any trucks '02 and after except CCs with 5'8" beds. And, with those only if there is extraordinary or severe use. Now this begs the question, what is extraordinary and severe? I'm not sure, but I'd guess 9 out of 10 people could do what they want with their tool box without issue.

-Jay

Now this begs the question, what is extraordinary and severe?

-Jay

I would ask the same question about the seats. Is anybody sure there is no need to reinforce those too? The way this country is going, a 300+ lbs individual will be considered slim pretty soon. I would say there is a need to design the seats for "extraordinary and severe" service.

I just ordered a "T-shaped" tool chest from buytruckaccessories.com. However, they don't have a picture of the model I bought, so here it is at Ace: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...oductId=2260311

It doesn't go on the bedrails at all. I wanted a big tool chest, just in case I get a softopper.com for my truck.

By the way, buytruckaccessories.com has a low price guarantee. I'm finding out if they'll honor Ace's low price, as I've read about a lot of problems with Ace delivery.

Larry

Archived