Diesel additive

Anyone using Power Service in the white or silver bottles? Wallyworld carries it and is easier to find then Stanadyne. Any comments (good or bad) with it?

Yes, they are both great, and alcohol free. White for winter to prevent gelling, and silver in spring, summer, and fall. Both add the cetane, lubricity, and cleaning aspects that you want with running this ULSD.

• 1 month later...

Power Service has a fine reputation, as does Howe's and Stanadyne. I work at a Nuclear power plant so I have access to rooms full of engineers, some of which are experts on our diesel generators (we use them for backup power to run our equipment if the grid is unavailable). I am gathering info on ULSD and if additives are 1) necessary 2)insurance but not required or 3) snake oil. I'll let everyone know what I find out and post whatever technical backup I get. BTW I am using Howe's right now.

Power Service has a fine reputation, as does Howe's and Stanadyne. I work at a Nuclear power plant so I have access to rooms full of engineers, some of which are experts on our diesel generators (we use them for backup power to run our equipment if the grid is unavailable). I am gathering info on ULSD and if additives are 1) necessary 2)insurance but not required or 3) snake oil. I'll let everyone know what I find out and post whatever technical backup I get. BTW I am using Howe's right now.

Are you testing certain additives? If so could you also test this one and see how it does?

Are you testing certain additives? If so could you also test this one and see how it does?

Sorry, bud. This a paper only research project. There is group on Diselplace.com getting a lab test together. I've got hundreds of pages of industry info to go through, once I get some kind of concrete info, I'll let you guys know.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, bud. This a paper only research project. There is group on Diselplace.com getting a lab test together. I've got hundreds of pages of industry info to go through, once I get some kind of concrete info, I'll let you guys know.

I used a lucas oil diesel additive and have fuel leaks all of a sudden . Whats up with that/ btw its a perkins engine on my M-F tractor

• 5 months later...

Well, I found out several things. 1) We as an industry don't use any additives in our diesel fuel for our generators, but we also run 2000ppm sulfur diesel, not ULSD. For what it's worth our Diesel Engineer (The Engineer in charge the Emergency Diesel systems, not the Choo Choo type!) runs a 7.3 Powerstroke and uses no additives.

2) I'll attempt to upload the results of the test commissioned by Dieselplace members here. Based on those results I'm going to be using the Amsoil products.

Fueladditives.pdf

Fueladditives.pdf

Fueladditives.pdf

Fueladditives.pdf

• 6 months later...

I have used PS in the USA when I've run out of my usual combination of Milligans and Lubecorp's Super Diesel Plus.....PS did ok.

I like to add lubricity as well as cetane boost. 04 LB7 usually gets 25 mpg at the speed limit and up to 16.8 mpg pulling 10000 lb 5th wheel.

Archived