Differential oil level in 1500 trucks

pm26

Question

I am really confused by the small amount of rear differential oil in my Z71 truck. It is supposedly only 2 quarts. And GM tells you that the proper oil level is 3/4 to 1.5 inches below the filler plug hole. Why? Every vehicle I ever owned you fill to the bottom of the filler plug. That way there is no guessing if there is enough oil in it or not. Also, why such a wide range (3/4 to 1.5 inches). I know that hot oil will expand slightly, but not nearly enough to account for that much difference. What happens if one adds oil to the differential so it is right at the edge of the filler hole? Would that have a detrimental effect on anything? I am just wondering about this, because when trailering, you want more oil to keep its temperature down. I am aware that you do not want to overfill the differential because the oil will foam and not lubricate as well. However, this differential apppears to be too big for 2 quarts of oil. Anyway, I think I will fill mine to the highest recommended level, i.e. 3/4 inch below opening. When I checked the oil, the level was more than 1 inch below the filler hole.

BTW, does Z71 have an 8.5 inch or 9.5 inch differential ring gear?

Early Nissan Titan trucks had an issue with their differentials because the oil would get too hot when trailering heavy loads and some differentials failed. So Nissan provides a ribbed aluminum differential cover on their trucks now to provide for better oil cooling. Does somebody offer a similar ribbed cast aluminum cover for Chevy trucks?

0 answers to this question

The rear diff (1/2 ton 10 bolt) takes more like 3 quarts, not 2.  The recommended fluid level is 10-15mm below the fill plug.  The ring gear on the 10 bolt is 8.5".  Magtec makes an aluminum diff housing cover with heat dissipating fins.

So magtec or http://www.taperformance.com/rearend.htm for a diff cover hmmmmmmm?

The rear diff (1/2 ton 10 bolt) takes more like 3 quarts, not 2.  The recommended fluid level is 10-15mm below the fill plug.  The ring gear on the 10 bolt is 8.5".  Magtec makes an aluminum diff housing cover with heat dissipating fins.

From our service information...

Fluid Capacity

----------------

Rear Drive Axle (8.6") - 2.03 liters or 2.15 quarts

lubricant level should be 15-40 mm (0.6-1.6 in) below bottom edge of fill hole.

Some interesting facts: The stock differential cover is made of stamped sheet metal. An aluminum cover is three times as good heat dissipator as the sheet metal cover, especially when it has fins on it. Obviously, sheet metal cover has no advantages over an aluminum cover. The only advantage is cheap cost.

In addition, a custom aluminum differntial cover will have a drain plug too, which enables draining the differential without removing the cover. This is one worthwhile investment. Keeping the rear end oil cool is really important when trailering heavy loads in the heat of summer, especially when you live in the southern states.

Here is Mag-Hytec site. Note that these differential covers have an O-ring seal, which requires no sealant and is the best possible design available, a magnetic drain plug, and oil dipstick, and also a temperature sender port if you want to wire a differential oil temperature sender with a gauge. Also, the oil capacity on Dana 44 axle covers goes up from 2.2 quarts to 6 quarts! This is more like it. Do 1500 series GM trucks use a Dana 44 rear axle?

Why couldn't GM provide differential covers like this as part of the heavy duty trailering package? I would gladly have paid a few hundred dollars extra.

Some interesting facts:  The stock differential cover is made of stamped sheet metal.  An aluminum cover is three times as good heat dissipator as the sheet metal cover, especially when it has fins on it.   Obviously, sheet metal cover has no advantages over an aluminum cover.  The only advantage is cheap cost.  

In addtion, a custom aluminum differntial cover will have a drain plug too, which enables draining the differential without removing the cover.   This is one worthwhile investment.  Keeping the rear end oil cool is really important when trailering heavy loads in the heat of summer, especially when you live in the southern states.

Here is Mag-Hytec site.  Note that these differential covers have an O-ring seal, which requires no sealant and is the best possible design available,  and also a temperature sneder port if you wnat to wire a differential oil temperature sender.  Also, the oil capacity on Dana 44 axle covers goes up from 2.2 quarts to 6 quarts!  This is more like it.   Do 1500 series GM trucks use a Dana 44 rear axle?

Dang..... 250$ + for a diff cover????

It better solve my intermediate steering shaft knock. :D

Some interesting facts:  The stock differential cover is made of stamped sheet metal.  An aluminum cover is three times as good heat dissipator as the sheet metal cover, especially when it has fins on it.  Obviously, sheet metal cover has no advantages over an aluminum cover.  The only advantage is cheap cost. 

In addition, a custom aluminum differntial cover will have a drain plug too, which enables draining the differential without removing the cover.  This is one worthwhile investment.  Keeping the rear end oil cool is really important when trailering heavy loads in the heat of summer, especially when you live in the southern states.

Here is Mag-Hytec site.  Note that these differential covers have an O-ring seal, which requires no sealant and is the best possible design available,  a magnetic drain plug, and oil dipstick, and also a temperature sender port if you want to wire a differential oil temperature sender with a gauge.  Also, the oil capacity on Dana 44 axle covers goes up from 2.2 quarts to 6 quarts!  This is more like it.  Do 1500 series GM trucks use a Dana 44 rear axle?

Why couldn't  GM provide differential covers like this as part of the heavy duty trailering package?  I would gladly have paid a few hundred dollars extra.

1500's have the gm 10 bolt 8.5 inch gear

Some interesting facts:  The stock differential cover is made of stamped sheet metal.  An aluminum cover is three times as good heat dissipator as the sheet metal cover, especially when it has fins on it.   Obviously, sheet metal cover has no advantages over an aluminum cover.  The only advantage is cheap cost.  

In addtion, a custom aluminum differntial cover will have a drain plug too, which enables draining the differential without removing the cover.   This is one worthwhile investment.  Keeping the rear end oil cool is really important when trailering heavy loads in the heat of summer, especially when you live in the southern states.

Here is Mag-Hytec site.  Note that these differential covers have an O-ring seal, which requires no sealant and is the best possible design available,  and also a temperature sneder port if you wnat to wire a differential oil temperature sender.  Also, the oil capacity on Dana 44 axle covers goes up from 2.2 quarts to 6 quarts!  This is more like it.   Do 1500 series GM trucks use a Dana 44 rear axle?

Not cheap, but definitely a lot cheaper than a new differential. The best part of the cover is that it triples the oil capacity of the differential.

Not cheap, but definitely a lot cheaper than a new differential. The best part of the cover is that it triples the oil capacity of the differential.

d**n dude why are you hyping this cover? You selling them and using this site to spam them from? Sounds to me like this thing ranks up there with the splitfires and the tornado intake.

d**n dude why are you hyping this cover? You selling them and using this site to spam them from? Sounds to me like this thing ranks up there with the splitfires and the tornado intake.

Your expert opinion?

No, I do not sell any covers or anything else for that matter.

It better solve my intermediate steering shaft knock. :banghead:

Your expert opinion?

No, I do not sell any covers or anything else for that matter.

I am useing both the diff and trans cover from mag-hytec. They are the best aluminum covers I have come across. And I have used a few in the past. No I don't sell them. I am a manufacturing manager.

Thanks and have a great day,

Don

Archived