How-To: Fix GMT800 Idler Pully Squeek For FREE.

Chuckster

The Upper Idler pully on my 2001 Tahoe was squeeling.. Really bad in the morning and then would eventually do away as it heated up..

I was going to replace it for about $50 or $60 bucks but decided to pull it it off this afternoon and check it out first...

I am told they are one piece and must be replaced and are not repairable.. WRONG...

Here are the steps..

1. Grab the center pully bolt with a 15mm socket and turn it clockwise to relive the belt tension and remove the belt.

2. take the pulley off by turning the same bolt Counter Clockwise.

3. Once off and on your workbench you can then see the bearing covers on both sides..

4. You need strong sewing needle to get the covers off.. Start carefully on the edge of the cover. (It's made of some sort of hard rubber) get underneath it and pop it off. Do the same for the opposite side.

5. You have now exposed the roller ball bearing race. One sode you can actually see the actual ball bearings

6. It's most likely dried up pretty good in there and you need to regrease them. I used some high temp caliper grease but you can probably use any high temp grease. Simply put a dab in between the spaces on the exposed ball bearing side. I even put one drop of Mobile 1 to help keep it loose..

7. Snap the covers back on and make sure they are snug.

8. Reinstall the pully and away you go..

9. Take the saved money and take your Wife or Girlfriend to dinner.. :eek:

Here is the picture below of all the parts...

TahoeIdler.jpg

Interesting post - I think mine makes noise - kind of a chirping noise.  It is not belt noise and usually happens when cold...I will keep this post in mind for when I have some time to pull it apart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easy fix.. Takes longer to pull the fan shrouds and intake hoses then it does to fix the whole thing...

Just need to make sure you do this BEFORE the bearings start to seize...

The Upper Idler pully on my 2001 Tahoe was squeeling.. Really bad in the morning and then would eventually do away as it heated up..

I was going to replace it for about $50 or $60 bucks but decided to pull it it off this afternoon and check it out first...

I am told they are one piece and must be replaced and are not repairable.. WRONG...

Here are the steps..

1. Grab the center pully bolt with a 15mm socket and turn it clockwise to relive the belt tension and remove the belt.

2. take the pulley off by turning the same bolt Counter Clockwise.

3. Once off and on your workbench you can then see the bearing covers on both sides..

4. You need strong sewing needle to get the covers off.. Start carefully on the edge of the cover. (It's made of some sort of hard rubber) get underneath it and pop it off. Do the same for the opposite side.

5. You have now exposed the roller ball bearing race. One sode you can actually see the actual ball bearings

6. It's most likely dried up pretty good in there and you need to regrease them. I used some high temp caliper grease but you can probably use any high temp grease. Simply put a dab in between the spaces on the exposed ball bearing side. I even put one drop of Mobile 1 to help keep it loose..

7. Snap the covers back on and make sure they are snug.

8. Reinstall the pully and away you go..

9. Take the saved money and take your Wife or Girlfriend to dinner..  :cheers:

Here is the picture below of all the parts...

TahoeIdler.jpg

Just realized the lower pully was making noise too.. Never heard it cause the upper made so much racket...

The lower one was just as easy... 30 mintes and done... The bearing was BONE DRY! Super quiet now... :D

By the way, thanks for making this Tech Tip.. Glad I could help.. :eek:

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Is this the tensioner pully or idler pully? Or can both be done? I've got all sorts of noises going on. I know the A/C tensioner pully on my 2000 is one of the culprits. I took the A/C belt off and it fixed half of the squeeking. Just wondering if this fix applies to all of the pullies.

Is this the tensioner pully or idler pully?  Or can both be done?  I've got all sorts of noises going on.  I know the A/C tensioner pully on my 2000 is one of the culprits.  I took the A/C belt off and it fixed half of the squeeking.  Just wondering if this fix applies to all of the pullies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should...They all use different sizes of basically the same type bearing.

I'll add this to this thread while I'm in here...If the bearings are actually bad, greasing them won't help...But if the pully wheel itself is okay, don't replace the whole thing for $60. Bust out your Yellow Pages and look up a bearing supply company. You can probably buy brand new (not to mention better) bearings for about $5 and press them in yourself with a c-clamp.

Thanks for the info Wingnut. I'll have to take a look at this over the weekend. Never thought about just going down to the local bearing place and pressing a new one in. I can't imagine the tensioners are actually bad just the pully bearings that reside on them. Auto part stores want 38 bucks just for the A/C tensioner, it would be nice if I can fix them all for much less.

Thanks for the info Wingnut.  I'll have to take a look at this over the weekend.  Never thought about just going down to the local bearing place and pressing a new one in.  I can't imagine the tensioners are actually bad just the pully bearings that reside on them.  Auto part stores want 38 bucks just for the A/C tensioner, it would be nice if I can fix them all for much less.

Little things like that are why we're here. :)

Welcome to the forums by the way :P

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived