How fast in 4X4?

summitXMK

Brother in law just related a story of a friend whos tranny fell out....said it was because he was using his 4X4 going 60-70mph.... I'm not sure I believe him..is there a top speed you should use 4X4? I know that using it on dry roads is bad but wet/snow at higher speeds?

Although I could be wrong,I've always heard that you should go no faster than 50 mph while in 4wd.

I don't get icy conditions around here very often but if I have to drive in 4wd,I'm not even going to get near 50 mph just out of safety concerns.

I don't think that a tranny Could fall out because of this.  I would have to be because of a bad instilation of several parts to fall out!!  Now it could burn up or destroy itself. I have personally seen the effects of throwing a truck into park (instead of reverse)while trying to rock it out of a hole. Blows the top right off. I have also seen boil over by keeping it floored in 4LOW while running around a lake all day. I regulary drive at 85 mph in my Blazer and it has full time 4wd so I don't think that is it. I'm sure it isnt good on the hubs or front differential but the tranny should be able to handle it.

Quote: from Black Dog on 3:25 pm on June 8, 2001

I often drive 60 - 70 mph in four wheel drive on snowy slippery roads.

No offense- but you're nuts!!:o

If you can go 60-70MPH in the snow, then why do you need it in 4WD?  Not trying to flame ya', and hey it's your life and truck, but I hope I'm not sharing the same snowy slippery road with you anytime soon! ;)

My 4X4ing has been in snow at relatively low speeds...maybe up to 50 on snowy highway.  I wondered about the all time drive vehicles...he also said that they have alot of flipped vehicles due specifically to driving in 4wheel while going fast..

(Edited by NewbieZ71 at 5:28 pm on June 8, 2001)

I leave the AutoTrac engaged while going on the interstate in the winter.  That means the front transfer case is engaged, but the transfer case doesn't engage unless it senses wheel slip in the rear.  If you have auto trac then it will spin your front diff in the summer.

You can run in 4HI as fast as the truck can go for short periods of time, but for extended lengths of time keep her to 50 or below.  4LO is a whole different ballgame.  I know with our truck we often forget we have it in 4HI and go down the road with it in (dry pavement) quite frequently, never have had a problem.  Wouldn't recommend it, but it won't hurt.  

As for the tranny falling out, I find it hard to believe 4x4 would be involved with that deal.

Just wanted to add my .02 cents. Never use 4WD on dry pavement, from personal experience I can tell you that during snow storms running in 4WD on the freeway above 45 mph can often get you a bunch of noise from the transfer case. The noise probibly means that the T-case does not like the speed. I have driven alot of miles in 4WD and not lost a t-case yet but then I keep it below 45.

Quote: from Stepside Z on 10:25 am on June 9, 2001

Just wanted to add my .02 cents. Never use 4WD on dry pavement, from personal experience I can tell you that during snow storms running in 4WD on the freeway above 45 mph can often get you a bunch of noise from the transfer case. The noise probibly means that the T-case does not like the speed. I have driven alot of miles in 4WD and not lost a t-case yet but then I keep it below 45.

I was getting that transfer case noise in my truck and GM replaced the fluid with some "new" stuff, and then after 500 miles they did it again, and no more noise!!!

I have a feeling that the story involved the diff not the tranny "falling out".  I know not to drive in 4X4 on dry pavement and cant imagine why anyone would want to do so to begin with.... I worry more about my wife accidently putting in 4Hi without realizing it...(shes even more newbie than me).  I also worry about her putting on the tow/haul without knowing it...I dont think that would hurt anything though...

Way up here in the "tundra" I use four wheel drive almost every day during the winter. I have left it in at times when the county roads aren't cleared yet and have gone to highway speed. a truer drive (can't stop any faster though). you have to be carefull.

I dont think I've ever hurt my drive train by doing this. I think your brother-in-law had other problems.

My $.02 worth.

LT

Archived