XM RADIO KIT 12498768

Ernie

Question

0 answers to this question

I went to my local Chevy house here in SLO and they wouldn't even talk about installing the factory kit. The service advisor was told to shy away from installing XM radios. Then the GMC dealer said he would take a crack at it, estimating 4+ hours labor to install. The labor cost makes it nearly unreachable. Help!

The only thing I can say is that according to our GM-Parts catalog it gives 1.5 hours to install the kit.

I just installed one a few weeks ago for the first time in my buddies '05 HD and it took me almost 3 hours to install myself :cheers: (I would have lost my butt in a flat-rate shop!)

Now this was the first time I personally did an install of one of these kits (Before the guys here in shop installed them) I'm sure the next one I do I can install a little quicker :puke: (At least I hope!)

I don't know why your local Chevy dealer wouldn't do the install,There not that bad to install at all and its a "GM" approved accessory (Its not like its some aftermarket system) They must have been scared of something.

Where are you at? I'd be more than happy to help you with the install if you want.

Haven't done one of these upgrades, so I can't be much help. I suspect that if it's an actual accessory kit from GM, it should all just plug in. Whether or not the radio will need reprogramming to enable XM is another question I can't answer.

I'll jump in on this one,I have sold a few of these kits and they go in nice,The hardest part is dropping the headliner and drilling the holes in the roof (they do give you a template on where to drill them at) everything else is plug-n-play,You should not need to reprogram your radio for it (At least we didn't have to on the few we installed)

This kit works on all but the base radio-RPO Code UM7

The UQ5 code you gave is for the speaker system,not the radio.

And by the way,Welcome aboard :chevy:

The only thing I can say is that according to our GM-Parts catalog it gives 1.5 hours to install the kit.

I just installed one a few weeks ago for the first time in my buddies '05 HD and it took me almost 3 hours to install myself  :D  (I would have lost my butt in a flat-rate shop!)

Now this was the first time I personally did an install of one of these kits (Before the guys here in shop installed them) I'm sure the next one I do I can install a little quicker :D  (At least I hope!)

I don't know why your local Chevy dealer wouldn't do the install,There not that bad to install at all and its a "GM" approved accessory (Its not like its some aftermarket system) They must have been scared of something.

Where are you at? I'd be more than happy to help you with the install if you want.

I live in San Luis Obispo, CA. I don't think it would be very difficult myself. Sure it is going to take extra time mainly because your going to go slower and be more cautious the first time. I don't think they should charge 4 hours labor or more. The Chevy store said they would want to sent it to the body shop to drill the holes in the cab. They don't even have a body shop on site.

Archived