When do 4x4 trucks need snow chains?

Not to be a smart butt but when all 4 wheel are spinning and you don't have traction. Having 4x4 will help a little but when you are in ice and all 4 wheels are spinning then that is when chains come in real handy in a 2x4 or 4x4.

Better make sure its ok with the law if you plan on running them on the road.  In most states its illegal, but states which get dumped on with the white stuff have special regs.  I was in CO going through the mountains once when they closed the road to anyone who didn't have chains to put on.  I'd say in most cases chains aren't needed (I've never had the situation where use was warrented), but if all you are on is ice, they will sure make a difference.

Put it in 4hi and don't even worry about it.  In 15 yrs of driving in snow I've never hung up a 4wd truck or SUV during snowy road conditions.  With the tires that come stock on the Z71 package I doubt you could fit chains on it anyway without risk of tearing up your wheelwell.  Just drive smart and you'll be fine.  Suburbans are heavy and that helps alot while driving on slick/snowy roads.

Last Jan we were traveling through Maryland (Deep Creek Lake area) shortly after a storm before the road crews could clear the roads.   At one spot we came across 5 or 6 cars waiting for a plow truck to open up a spot blocked by some 2 to 3 foot snow drifts!   I pulled in the other lane and went right through the drifts with no problems.  A guy in a newer F250 came through right after me and neither of us had chains on.

If you get into some real deep snow, all those drones who brag about how good their Subaru Outbacks and Audi Quattros go in snow will learn the hard way the difference between a tincan import with some gimmicky drive train and a nice solid V8 truck with a real 4x4 system!  :thumbs:

You need to check your state regulations.  In the California mountains whenever it snows a little the Highway patrol gets picky and makes you put on chains, even if it isn't that bad.  They usually let 4wd go without chains, unless the conditions get real bad.  But they do require 4wd's to carry chains.  Had a friend with a lifted truck with BIG tires and they not only made him show them the chains, he had to drape them over one of the tires to prove they were the correct ones.  I guess people were carrying any size chains even if they were the wrong size.  For occasional use pick up a set of the cable chains, not as much traction as the regular chains, but they'll work.  I'm going to have to get a set for my truck, since it came wi th 255 General tires and I had to sign a release when I bought it stating that they told me these tires weren't recommened for use with tire chains, the cable chains are easier on the tires and you get more clearance.

This is my exact dilemma.  I posted earlier, but the subject never hurts to be beat on twice.  Our Avalanche manual specifically says not to use chains (presumably because of clearance issues).  It is a Z71 model with 265/70R17 tires.

But [Oregon] state law says that you must carry chains (presumably that fit) regardless of 4WD or not.  And if it says "put 'em on", you have to (4WD or not) or face judgement if a stickler state policeman is there to enforce it.

I'd rather mess with chains than the law, so what's the course of action?  Get smaller tires?  Pray for no cops?  What about cable chains?  They typically have low-clearance reqs (like mikeb said)--might they fit even on 265s on Z71s?  I guess I'll just have to get some and try 'em out.  We have a local autoparts/sportinggoods place that sells chains and says that if you never used them all winter long, you can return them in April for your money back.  I could try them out in my garage--so long as they aren't rusted (like they get as soon as you use them), I should be okay for an experiment.

Brendan

Thanks guys. Put my mind at ease knowing I won't realistically need them. But it's good people brought up the legal questions. At the local moutains here in CA, some times it says you have to have them, some times it says 4x4 are exempt. But chances are my Z71 is not suitable for snow chains, what then?? I guess I'd have to mark the manual and show them that part when they ask. But risking damaging my vehicle? no way. I also have a set of snow cable from my old Toyota compact pickup, no way they fit, but I'll show it to them when asked. If anything more, I'd rather turn around than messing up my truck.

Get the Chains and then go somewhere and practice driving in 4wd mode without the chains. Just because you have chains doesn't make you an expert driver. It takes practice to learn how to drive in snowy/icey conditons with or without 4wd and with or without chains.

Last winter (I live in San Diego and was in our local mtns playing in the snow) I had my chains on, and this off duty sheriff who thought he knew everything about driving, slid into me. He was driving a 4wd Explorer. His comment was "I thought with 4wd I didn't have to worry about ice".

4wd drive is nice to get you alittle further, but if you don't want to take chances with your vehicle and want much better traction, put the chains on.

BTW, I'm a former National Park Service Ranger. I've been in bad conditions. I've pulled people out of bad conditions. Now I drive a school bus, in which I drive the 6th graders to the mountain camp for a week. On our "Mountain" buses, we have these automatic chains called "Onspots". They are great if you are on flat ground. But if you stop, you lose coverage. They will get us to the top of the mountian, but to get into the school camp. We have to stop and put our manual chains on.  I probably have to put these chains on 20+ times a year. I just want you to know that I do know alittle about bad conditions and putting chains on.

Peace

I have SSC cable chains--http://scc-chain.com/--they ride smoother than a conventional chain and last longer and you can drive faster with them.

We get mainly ice storms and there is no traction on ice, especially if you  have a real mud tire.  The starting and stopping ability is fantastic.

I have 285/75-16 tires on stock wheels (came with 265's) and there is no clearance problems. I bought them as insurance. They are a lot cheaper than having to put your vehicle in the shop for damage and paying higher insurance costs later.

You can go to the DOT website and find out about local laws on use of traction devices.

Good info Tx--SCC chains were the ones I was considering for my Avalanche--what kind of truck to you have?  I'm guessing there's more clearance on a Silverado than an Avalanche--the Avalanche wheel wells are nice and tall but not too big front-to-rear.

Brendan

Probably won't be much help, but whenever I get a new truck, I plan on getting a set of chains (probably the brand that Tx-Doc linked to) and throwing them in the toolbox just to have them there.  You may never need them, but since some states require them by law for winter travel, its best to have them.  I certainly won't need them in my area, but I figure it can't hurt to have a set for winter travel out west...

I've been up here in Anchorage, Alaska for about 10 yrs and have never needed snow chains (hardly see them here either).  Up here, some folks put studded tires in the winter (my wife uses them on her Grand Cherokee).  I just use 4wd and a good set of all terrain tires.   Just take it easy and remember that it takes three times longer to stop and you'll be fine.  I think folks that drive on the ice a lot either wreck a lot of cars or become the best drivers in the (or both sometimes).  :thumbs:  :D

Archived