Can I add GM keyless entry?

Hmmm, that's strange that you'd have power locks and no keyless.

Keyless entry is built into the PDM (Passenger Door Module). I wouldn't think they'd bother to make PDMs for power locks that don't have the keyless entry module built into them, but who knows.

Anyway, try this:

1. Close all the vehicle doors.

2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.

3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.

4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.

5. Release the door unlock switch.

What happens? If the doors lock and unlock after step 5, your truck has the ability to use keyless, so you only need to buy a remote and program it.

If nothing happens, then to get factory keyless you'd need to replace the PDM (the passenger side power window/lock switches) and also get the BCM reprogrammed to enable keyless. Then the keyless entry should work.

Hey Shawn, good news!!!!!!!! I performed your procedure and the doors locked and unlocked twice and the horn beeped when the doors locked.

Now you're telling me that I can just buy the factory remotes and program to this vehicle. How do I program remotes? Thanks for all your help.

Jeff

Sounds good! Here's the programming procedure in its entirety:

1. Close all the vehicle doors.

2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.

3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.

4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.

5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.

6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.

7. Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.

8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.

9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Looks like you can even get the remotes for $10 or less (plus whatever shipping costs) from Ebay.

Let us know if everything works out OK 405!,I get customers in here wanting to add keyless entry on their trucks with power locks but no factory keyless entry.

Thats a cool deal if you just need to get the remotes. :cheers:

Bad news. :cheers: I took the #2 keyless remote for my 03 Suburban and tried to reprogram it for the Sierra. No dice. I tried several times and it won't work. Oh well, thanks alot guys for your input.

On second thought, there is a guy on ebay that is selling a replacement passenger door switch along with two remotes that he claims will provide keyless entry. I dismissed it as BS, but after this exercise it just may be plausible.

Any further thoughts?

UPDATE!!!! I got the replacement passenger door module and remotes today from Jason Smith in Tulsa, OK. I purchased them on Ebay. The remotes were already programmed to the module. I installed the module and they work GREAT!!! I got just what I wanted, GM factory keyless entry. The lights flash, the horn sounds, and the locks work. Best of all, it was a plug and play operation.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell that it doesn't take much to excite me?

Thanks again Gnat and MS3Dale for your helpful input.

Jeff

Yep. I got the PDM and 2 programmed remotes. Swapped out the PDM and I am in business. This guy's Ebay name is chasnjason. He sells a ton of keyless entry remotes and has this setup as a package for GM trucks. I got the package for 49.99 plus insurance and shipping. 58 and change total. Not a bad deal.

The truck must be equipped with both power door locks and power windows for this package to work.

• 2 months later...

Wow! Thanks to the info. all of you above provided. This is a big help to me. I just bought a 2001 Silverado that, of course, the former owner kept the keyless entry remotes for. Thanks to this thread I now know I have keyless entry.

Now I just have to call the dealer to find out if I need to order 2001 remotes or the left-over 2000 remotes that were also used in 2000. Grrr. I hate having to deal with the dealership.

405landlord,

what's the easiest way to get teh PDM out of the door? Can you just pry up the switches from the top or do you have to pull the whole door panel off? I'm really interested in buying the kit for my truck. Thanks.

Jeff

Archived