METRA/AXXESS iPod Adaptor......VERY SOON!

I called the AXXESS division of METRA today, and found out that they will be releasing the GMIP-01 iPod adaptor early next month. This appears to be the cadillac of all iPod adaptors as it incorporates the following functions/features:

1) Playback over any GM OEM radio incorporating a CD controller.

2) Apple licensed connectors (not the cheap knockoffs.

3) An additional audio input port permits selection of a second stereo audio source, such as DVD audio, directly from the radio controls.

4) OEM radios with text capability will display the playlist and track number, artist, track name and album name. Radios without text capability can display the information on a small dash-mounted LCD display.

5) All the other standard features of the competing brands (browsing by artist, playlist, etc. via radio/steering controls, charging while connected, etc.

The big one for me is number 4. Actually, I'm trying to figure out how it's accomplished. I asked their tech guy if it would actually display text info on an OEM head unit, as opposed to an aftermarket Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer and he said yes. I wonder how they are able to do that? Does an OEM GM (TNR or INR) display text when incorporated with a CD changer?

The big one for me is number 4. Actually, I'm trying to figure out how it's accomplished. I asked their tech guy if it would actually display text info on an OEM head unit, as opposed to an aftermarket Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer and he said yes. I wonder how they are able to do that? Does an OEM GM (TNR or INR) display text when incorporated with a CD changer?

I'd like the answer to this also. I have a TNR and a slave changer. The TNR displays track information from the CD's. It's a little frustrating not to see names etc. But XM sows the detail information on the TNR.

Just got off the phone with METRA. They are releasing the GMIP-01 this week in Florida, 2 weeks in California (distributors only) and then with Circuit City by the end of May. I was also able to speak with the chief designer of the adaptor.

Basically, the GMIP-01 emulates the factory XM module, so track, title, artist, etc. information can be displayed on the HU based on ID3 tags! They are going to make a mint on this thing! I can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting . . . I just got off the phone with Charlie in sales at Metra (800-221-0932) and he said that it still isn't available. He said another 30 days before it would be available. He told me the very first place to get any would be Circuit City that they are the #1 priority. Of course I called Circuit City and the are clueless, ". . . GMIP-01 . . . never heard of it". It is also not available on their web site either, not even tech info www.metraonline.com What the heck? How long can it take to make a cable?

Waiting . . .

I bought the IPOD2CAR adaptor, and tried to install it with my TNR upgrade, and it did not work correctly. it played the same time my cd changer played. I was told by the manufacturer that it would not work with onstar, RSE, and a remote cd changer.

Do you know if there is something in this unit that will allow for the extra input from the IPOD?

Still waiting  . . .  I just got off the phone with Charlie in sales at Metra (800-221-0932) and he said that it still isn't available. He said another 30 days before it would be available. He told me the very first place to get any would be Circuit City that they are the #1 priority.  Of course I called Circuit City and the are clueless, ". . . GMIP-01 . . . never heard of it". It is also not available on their web site either, not even tech info www.metraonline.com  What the heck? How long can it take to make a cable?

Waiting . . .

I'm waiting as well. I check this thread religiously. I want that adapter!!!

(I don't even have a freaking Ipod yet :D )

I bought the IPOD2CAR adaptor, and tried to install it with my TNR upgrade, and it did not work correctly. it played the same time my cd changer played. I was told by the manufacturer that it would not work with onstar, RSE, and a remote cd changer.

Do you know if there is something in this unit that will allow for the extra input from the IPOD?

You can try calling them and asking. They don't really seem to know for sure. All I can tell you is I talked to someone in tech support and they told me it would work for me with no problems. I have an 04 w/ Boses, onStar, XM, single CD w/ Cass. They said I "might" lose my cass (big woop). Other than that they said it would work.

• 3 weeks later...

copy from another thread:

Okay, I bought an iPod Photo 30GB and the Metra Wire-Tunes adapter today. Adapter was $149 at Circuit City in Hoover. iPod is currently charging, and I'm about to install the adapter into the '03 Z-71. I decided to make some pictures and scans of what came in the box, so people here could get an idea of what they're getting with this product.

here is a link to the pics:

http://bama.ua.edu/~roden001/adapter

just click on each of the JPG links to view each picture/scan. Sorry about the quality of the pics/scans. I'm no pro.

I'll also make a post about my install and usage experience.

Well, it looks like it's going to work great for me. I rarely search for tracks in the car. I'm usually just playing in shuffle mode. It does not let you search for a specific song. It looks like the best way to use it will be to set up about five playlists you'll be using most often. It allows you to select among about 5 playlists, and it allows you to set shuffle mode within any of them. It also allows you to just shuffle the whole iPod. That's what I'll do most often. Shuffle the whole iPod, and then use the 'seek' button on the steering wheel to skip a song if I'm not in the mood for it.

One cool thing about it is that it will automatically pause your song if you switch over to, say FM radio, and it will pick up where you left off when you switch back to the iPod input.

I'd like the answer to this also. I have a TNR and a slave changer. The TNR displays track information from the CD's. It's a little frustrating not to see names etc. But XM sows the detail information on the TNR.

The GM nav headunits will display text for the CD if the CD is text uncoded (most are not unless you burnt them with that feature).

They will display it in the same format as the XM displays the info or the same as FM does when the station broadcasts in full RDS ( most stations only broadcast their call letters, nickname, format, and sometimes location on the RDS carrier frequency)

The GM nav headunits will display text for the CD if the CD is text uncoded (most are not unless you burnt them with that feature).

They will display it in the same format as the XM displays the info or the same as FM does when the station broadcasts in full RDS ( most stations only broadcast their call letters, nickname, format, and sometimes location on the RDS carrier frequency)

WIll they display text from a cd changer aswell as the internal disc player?

Well, it looks like it's going to work great for me.  I rarely search for tracks in the car.  I'm usually just playing in shuffle mode.  It does not let you search for a specific song.  It looks like the best way to use it will be to set up about five playlists you'll be using most often.  It allows you to select among about 5 playlists, and it allows you to set shuffle mode within any of them.  It also allows you to just shuffle the whole iPod.  That's what I'll do most often.  Shuffle the whole iPod, and then use the 'seek' button on the steering wheel to skip a song if I'm not in the mood for it.

One cool thing about it is that it will automatically pause your song if you switch over to, say FM radio, and it will pick up where you left off when you switch back to the iPod input.

Roden,

What features and options do you have on your OEM equipment? Do you have XM? single CD or multi CD? On Star? Cass? Did you loose anything when you installed it? Did you have any problems installing this? Was it as simple as plugging it in? Did you have to take much of the dash apart?

Thanks for the pics of the kit but do you have any from doing the install? Any of the finished job? It sounds like the kit comes with mounting brackets for the iPod? Did you mount the brackets? If so did you just use glue/tape or screws? Does the kit charge your iPod while you are playing it in the truck?

Any additional details would be great.

Archived