Horn Upgrade

Has anyone replaced there factory horns on there new body style silverado.  The first time I used it I couldn't help but notice that it sounded, well, dainty.  I just want to know if anyone has taken out the existing ones and replaced them w/ something a bit more powerful.  If so, what kind, where from, and how much???

I think I'm going to have to get some air horns behind my bumper and hook those up.  If I recall from my Haynes manual the Horn is hooked onto a lower radiator bracket.  So, I'll have my cousin wire in a new horn.  I'll add pics and install info to my site, but I was just hoping someone else had done it.   Must I always be a pioneer???

I installed a set of cheap air horns into my 01 Siverado.  They sell 'em at JC whitney and most autoparts stores for $30-40 bucks.  You can spend 5-times that for the big rig type, but these have plastic horns and a small compressor, about the size of a base ball.  I spliced it into the exitsting horn wires to get them all working together.  If you "pop off" a headlight assembly, you'll see the horns.  There's one horn behind/below each headlight.  I attached the horns to the size of the big fuse/relay electornics box under the hood (down low so as not to disturb any of the inside wiring!).  Then I used plastic ty-straps to secure the compressor to a nearby underhood brace.  

It all works out pretty good since the air horns take a second to "spool up" pressure for the blast.  This way I can still tap the horn-button quick for friendly toots and also punch down the button for more persuasive blasting during idiot encounters.  

Archived