What should the engine temp. be for 5.3L?

First, I need to say that I like your site a lot.  I've been reading the posts for about a month now.  My hope now is to tap your knowledge for my questions.

I'm used to driving a '90 Oldsmobile Silhouette mini van with an engine temp of 180F.  I've been asking around work and I'm finding out that everyone's engines seem to have a 180 or 190 degree thermostat (all car or mini van owners).  Are GM trucks the same way?  Should my temp of around 205F be of concern?  No problems that I know of.  This Illinois summer of late makes quick order of raising the temp when I start the engine.  No flucuation afterwards.  Perhaps I'm just used to the slow warming up of a minivan with 206,000 miles on it.

Hopefully my signature comes up.  If not, here is some info.  I bought my 2001 Tahoe on April 6, 2001.  (I never saw my silver bullet van again).  It's the LT 4x4 with climate control, 5.3L engine, 3.73 axle ratio with locking rear diff, towing package, and third row seat.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.

siume99, First of all. WELCOME to the Forum. I hope you enjoy yourself, learn a little bit and laugh a lot.

My LT 5.3 runs as the others do; about 205. That really isn't a lot for Chev. V-8's. My other car often hits 225 or so (especially traveling under 45 MPH. It's also a sblock Chev. I hope this helps.

Archived