Soft Tri-fold Shopping

Looking for a soft cover for my 2024 & curious as to the opinions on the Lund, Leer & Freedom brands. I have had Bak Flip hard covers on my last 2 trucks (not impressed w/ the 1 I had on my 2017).

The brands in question are available @ a chain here in Canada. I have enough 'money' accumulated to buy 1.

Looking forward to your opinions.

TIA

I'm not sure why you would want a folding soft tonneau cover.  The rolling covers will get out of the way better if you want to load your bed.  I have the Truxedo cover and I'm happy with it for the price.  It looks identical to the Leer and Freedom brand.  Generally, I think the soft cover is more of a discount, utilitarian purchase and I'm not sure you could go wrong with any name brand.  I'm happy with mine as it does keep the moisture out.  The thing I don't like about it, that you may want to research, is that my tailgate will not go down without a little assistance.  There are times where I would have liked to drop the tailgate with my remote button, but it gets caught up on the cover.  If you have someone installing it for you, you may want to inquire about that.  The people who installed mine moved the cover up a bit and got it to almost drop, but the only other option was to trim the seal a bit and I was afraid that I'd give up water tightness for tailgate convenience.  I think water tightness is more important.

Edited by GN2018

I agree. I would like to know the reasoning behind wanting a trifold.  I have always used Access Roll Up covers but if you need extra Security then something like a BakFlip X4S (which I have now) would be an option.

For me, I want a nice looking sealed cover but want to have it out of the way quickly and as much as possible when needed. Some of those trifolds stand straight up when "stowed" covering the back glass.  Not something I think I would like.

You might ask him why.  Might have been a brand issue and not rollup in general.  I have had several rollups and loved them. I actually bought the same one for this truck and it did not fit the tailgate so I switched to the Bak cover which did not fit either. Turns out the factory did not install my tailgate cap correctly.   But talk more to your brother about why he disliked the one rollup.  If you use your bed and need it rolled up, then there is a big difference in ease as far as I am concerned.

On 10/20/2024 at 1:47 PM, revrnd said:

Looking for a soft cover for my 2024 & curious as to the opinions on the Lund, Leer & Freedom brands. I have had Bak Flip hard covers on my last 2 trucks (not impressed w/ the 1 I had on my 2017).

The brands in question are available @ a chain here in Canada. I have enough 'money' accumulated to buy 1.

Looking forward to your opinions.

TIA

Lund and "Freedom" (which is an Extang) are all made by the same company, Real Truck.  Real Truck used to be Truck Hero Inc.  Real Truck owns/makes Lund, AVS, ARE, Amp Research, Bak, TonnoPro, BackRack, exTang, Bedrug, Retrax, Roll N Lock, Truxedo, Undercover, the list goes on and on.  There are "some" variations in the product, but not a whole lot the last few years.  Some have better latch designs, better materials, things like that, that go along with the price points.  

They make all of the covers offered at the GM dealers as well, so any that are branded "Chevrolet" and any that are branded as the GM IBPs (Integrated Business Partner) of Advantage, Roll N Lock and Rev (Rev are the private label Bak covers for GM, Ford and Stellantis).  

Leer is Leer Group, formerly Truck Accessories Group Inc.  They appear to make their own covers, they also own Pace Edwards brand retractable covers.  

TLDR, you really can't go wrong?  I've not seen a Leer tonneau in person so I can't vouch for those.  The brands made by the conglomerate Real Truck, the Advantage covers are good, Lund, exTang, Truxedo, etc.  If your budget increases, the Bak and Rev flip hard flip are real nice covers too.    

I'm going with the 1 that GM offers thru parts.

I was not impressed w/ BAKflip's customer service. The 'channels' that covered the cables warped over time and wouldn't stay in place. One of the latches broke. When I contacted the accessory shop & they looked up service parts available, the parts weren't available.