We have owned multiple 5.3 and 6.2 trucks but never a 3.0 LM2 or LZO.  I've driven one around town but never out on open country highways.  I keep reading that some consider passing power with the 3.0 LZO to be inadequate compared to the 5.3 or 6.2.  You have to wind the 5.3s up pretty good to pass but they always handle what I need, and the 6.2 is just a rocket.  I know I'll get comments about just taking it slower, but most of the rural highways we travel are 75mph, with some 80 and 85.  Driving slower or being unable to safely pass are dangerous themselves in some areas.  

47 minutes ago, tjonesdfw said:

We have owned multiple 5.3 and 6.2 trucks but never a 3.0 LM2 or LZO.  I've driven one around town but never out on open country highways.  I keep reading that some consider passing power with the 3.0 LZO to be inadequate compared to the 5.3 or 6.2.  You have to wind the 5.3s up pretty good to pass but they always handle what I need, and the 6.2 is just a rocket.  I know I'll get comments about just taking it slower, but most of the rural highways we travel are 75mph, with some 80 and 85.  Driving slower or being unable to safely pass are dangerous themselves in some areas.  

LM2 gets a bit winded perhaps in a passing move as it only has 277hp.    I have a 2.7 Turbomax (310hp 430tq) and I've driven LZ0s at work.  They both feel like they make 305-310hp (which the LZ0 makes 305hp) but I've never found either to be inadequate for passing.  Obviously neither are a 6.2.  The torque of the LZ0 and Turbomax make up for their lower horsepower.       

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I should clarify slightly on that, the Turbomax is the lightest configuration of truck which, to me, my butt dyno matches it to the 5.3's performance.  LZ0 is a hair slower, but I still will stand on the passing power feels fine (to me).  

Edited by newdude

2 hours ago, tjonesdfw said:

I think the passing power comments are from the anti-diesel crowd. 

I'm always surprised how fast it ends up running if I pull out to pass and don't ease off on the throttle...and it doesn't need to be turning 4000 to make that happen. 

L3B Engine, TurboMax, (310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 430 lb-ft of torque [583 Nm] @ 3000 rpm)) 

L84 Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8, (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm) 

L87 Engine, 6.2L EcoTec3 V8, (420 hp [313 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [624 Nm] @ 4100 rpm) 

LZ0 Engine, Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6, (305 hp [227 kW] @ 3750 rpm, 495 lb-ft of torque [671 Nm] @ 2750 rpm)

It's the torque that hits you in the back when accelerating -- LZO

• Like 1