Screw in tire. Would you do anything?

Pryme

How’s it going all. So I saw a screw in my rear tire. Right in the tread. I pulled out my patch kit intending to ream it out and toss a plug in but it was a small self tapping machine type screw and it came out really easily with a pliers. No air was coming out and no bubbles when water was tossed on it. 
it does appear longer than the tread is tall though so my question is. How thick is the actual tire under the tread? Do you think this got really close to puncturing the tire? Wonder if it’s now a weak spot?

Would you let it ride? 

IMG_9913.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

3 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

I wouldnt worry about it. 

Yeah I’ve never had such a short screw(no jokes) in a tire before. I was expecting to pull out a long screw and ream it and jam a plug in but nope. I drove on it all day today no issues. 

Just mostly local and no trips planed, for a wile, i would run it. But since im headed south 1,600 miles shortly, towing the 5ver, i would mark it and have the local shop hear throw a patch on the inside where it was, just to make sure i dont have a problem traveling. For me to mark it, pull the tire, put the spare on and drop it off then pick it up, and reinstall it, might cost $20 for them to patch it, just incase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lineman1234 said:

Just mostly local and no trips planed, for a wile, i would run it. But since im headed south 1,600 miles shortly, towing the 5ver, i would mark it and have the local shop hear throw a patch on the inside where it was, just to make sure i dont have a problem traveling. For me to mark it, pull the tire, put the spare on and drop it off then pick it up, and reinstall it, might cost $20 for them to patch it, just incase. 

Yeah if I was doing what you’re about to do I would do that too just in case

• Like 1

If it's not leaking, I would leave it.  Best thing I have found to check for air leaks is Windex, if it doesn't bubble with that, I would run it.  I used to work in a tire shop while in university - I wouldn't want to remove, scrape and patch that if I could avoid it.  Taking your tires off and on the rim I never found to be overly good for them.  Saw a fair number of tire beads get chewed up in my day.  That was a long time ago though.

• Like 1

Because of my OCD....I would take it to a reputable tire shop and have it inspected and see what they recommend.  An inside patch at the least.  The concern is that the screw is longer than the tread depth.  As mentioned, total penetration may have been prevented by inner wall thickness and steel belts.....yet It could be on the verge of total penetration. You would not know for sure until it is inspected.  Definitely mark side wall and in between treads so you know exactly where it's at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Angler said:

Because of my OCD....I would take it to a reputable tire shop and have it inspected and see what they recommend.  An inside patch at the least.  The concern is that the screw is longer than the tread depth.  As mentioned, total penetration may have been prevented by inner wall thickness and steel belts.....yet It could be on the verge of total penetration. You would not know for sure until it is inspected.  Definitely mark side wall and in between treads so you know exactly where it's at.

Yeah I marked the location. I don’t have any long trips planned and my daily driving is usually trips under 10miles so I’ll just keep a watch for now. Maybe I’ll keep my display on the tire pressure screen for awhile.