USB to 12 Volt Adapter

Seeing as my 2024 doesn't have a 12 Volt adapter, what can anyone suggest an adapter? I can find them on Amazon & AutoZone carries 1 Screenshot_20241014_161850_Chrome.thumb.jpg.487ff7d75488bea23f75e0fd0b9e872a.jpg

but it has mixed reviews (some from 2024 GM owners.

7 minutes ago, bruceb58 said:

There are a bunch of them out there. Problem is USB is 5V and you are going to be stepping up to 12V so the amount of current a 5V USB can deliver is the issue here

It's for powering a GPS cradle that is wired w/ a old school 12V plug.

I guess the brainiac that decontented the 12V sockets must've thought nobody used pre-USB accessories anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

I guess the brainiac that decontented the 12V sockets must've thought nobody used pre-USB accessories anymore.

How much current does it draw?

It's actually not too hard to wire in a 12V socket.

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

Yeah I use the basic old style garmin gps for roadtrips. I just prefer it and keep my phone free for a call and I’m sure I’m just not up with the times of technology but I don’t care haha. Glad my 22 has the 12v style along with usb and even a 110v if I want to plug a blender in to make some margaritas or something ha

• Haha 1

I picked up the adapter @ AutoZone today & it works. 

Other than powering the GPS, I don't really have any other 12V accessories that need powering.

I've run wires thru the firewall in the past & it's a PITA.  I might (& it's a big might) add a 12V outlet using a fuse tap.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

Waring used to make a 12v blender rated at 7A. I don't see available anymore. Maybe another brand is available.

It would work if you plug a 7 way connecter to 12v dual socket adapter into the trailer connector at the bumper or plugged into the bed mounted connector. They are fused at 30A at the battery.

Connector is rated at 10A.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wiring/Draw~Tite/118019.html?feed=npn&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwpbi4BhByEiwAMC8JnXgdD93aHsyovtWuLo5RbZpGYE4sDZcrCn5vrCY1nCklNnq9KJ5rIRoCw5EQAvD_BwE

Edited by rjgvt

One tip if you go the AutoZone adapter route & you will only be using it w/ 1 accessory, you may need to use duct tape to secure the male plug in the socket. Even on my previous truck, I found the plug would slip out of the socket due to the 'expansion springs' on the sides of the plug pushing on the socket.

EDIT: My nephew helped me tape the connection w/ electrical tape & it seems more secure.

Edited by revrnd

This whole 12-volt socket issue is ridiculous and was avoidable by GM.  I have several devices requiring these sockets and added 2 sockets on the back of the center console, 1 from each of the 2 batteries, 1 at the aux battery, plus the adapter for the 2 trailer plugs.  They are all working great except for the problem of the plug falling out of the socket.  I use safety wire at the trailer plugs, and inside the truck, I have to check the plugs every time I stop.  If they are trying to phase out these sockets, it would be nice if they replaced them with a more secure plug like the stereo audio plugs, and something that could still handle the high current.  We are launching rockets into space and we can't figure this out?!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Handy said:

This whole 12-volt socket issue is ridiculous and was avoidable by GM.  I have several devices requiring these sockets and added 2 sockets on the back of the center console, 1 from each of the 2 batteries, 1 at the aux battery, plus the adapter for the 2 trailer plugs.  They are all working great except for the problem of the plug falling out of the socket.  I use safety wire at the trailer plugs, and inside the truck, I have to check the plugs every time I stop.  If they are trying to phase out these sockets, it would be nice if they replaced them with a more secure plug like the stereo audio plugs, and something that could still handle the high current.  We are launching rockets into space and we can't figure this out?!

Yes, how many years have we been using 12V sockets for items besides cigarette lighters? Just because the number of smokers has dropped over the years, doesn't make the socket obsolete. An example of the engineering/bean counter staff being younger than a lot of us have been driving?

Reminds me of an online discussion about the failings of BRP's navigation software for snowmobiles and ATVs (It doesn't work that well where there isn't cell service). One sledder who was familiar with software development said it was probably a case of the developers being so 'sheltered' in their life experience that they think there is cell service everywhere.

I was thinking of getting a 12v adapter for the USB since you have plenty of power on the usb outlets but I don't really use much with a cigarette plug anymore. I only had it for emergency charging cell phones and for my dash cam. I will say I do love the new USB only plugs since they are high wattage and I can charge my macbook at 90w with the USB-C to C wire in my truck (not that I need to do that but it's nice knowing I can do that if needed).

Do I wish there was a single cigarette outlet? yes but i'm fine with a good quality 12v to cigarette adapter if needed.

When I was having power issues with my one dashcam I was really thinking of modifying the dash just under the AC controls to mount a marine grade cigarette outlet in the dash and wire it up to an accessory switched circuit with a relay for added power.

3 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

When I was having power issues with my one dashcam I was really thinking of modifying the dash just under the AC controls to mount a marine grade cigarette outlet in the dash and wire it up to an accessory switched circuit with a relay for added power.

The Marinco 12V plug & socket are a twist lock system. You can see how the contacts are 'squared off' on the male:

MAR12VRC.jpg

On most others, the contacts are rounded off & the spring pressure will push the plug out of the socket.