2018 GMC Terrain Diesel exhaust door in cabin

Tim Roy

Question

Hello, my terrain is leaking exhaust door / smell in the cabin.   250,000km

1.  My GMC dealer has replaced the turbo.  Did not fix the odor.

2.  My GMC dealer replaced the turbo manifold.  Did not fix the odor.

3.  My GMC dealer troubleshooted the turbo wastegate, replaced the turbo again.  Did not fix the odor.

close to $4000 in repairs, nothing fixed…I need some advice or help.

3 answers to this question

*THIS* ... right here people, is why you DO NOT go to a dealer for repairs unless you're still under warranty!!

A turbo for exhaust smell ... 🤦‍♂️ Oh my head!! 😖 

FIND AN INDEPENDENT SHOP. Even an exhaust specialty shop could probably find this. It's probably just a $200 exhaust repair. WOW!!

Sorry you're part of the crew who has got completely screwed by corporate dealerships, yet again. I scream on top of my soapbox about this, and have for DECADES ... yet nobody ever listens.

Depends on the dealership. I’ve been using my local Honda dealership since 2001. Never a problem. Same with my local GMC-Hyundai dealership. It’s funny the Hyundai side is better than the GMC side. Just across the same lot. Maintenance may be higher like a brake job. But getting 125K miles out new brakes I’m going with OEM. I was buying Fords across the highway. The service was terrible. That’s what sent me to GMC. Buying an Acura in 2001 sent me to my local Honda dealership. They have been flawless. I use a local independent for my avalanche repairs. The GMC dealership wouldn’t work on it says it’s too old. Wouldn’t buy another from them. But I’d replace my wife’s Genesis for another from their Hyundai dealership. And probably a CPO Honda Odyssey from my local dealer when my current Odyssey fails. You have to do your research. Not paint all dealership with the same brush.

I hear so many stories just like the OP's that it's IMPOSSIBLE to NOT paint them all with the same brush. They are ABYSMAL.

If you do happen to get a good one by some miracle, that says a ton about the people working there. They are beholden to corporate, which is the root of EVERY bad thing associated with dealerships. Corporate screws their techs just as bad as their customers. I can't speak for how they treat the dealership brass, but if it walks like a duck, and looks like a duck .... you know the rest! Can only assume dealerships themselves also get screwed, so they then have to REALLY go the extra mile to make things just halfway decent for customers.

Count your lucky stars Stan, because there are FAR more bad dealers out there than good. Corporate, regardless of brand, is to blame, EVERY time.

Edited by Jsdirt