Oil pump change questions

Hey everyone, I recently have had the misfire on #6 issue and started my troubkeshooting processes. One of the early things I changed was the oil pump. Prior to the change and since I bought the truck is has always hovered around 1/4 of the gauge and of course would increase when getting on the accelerator.  After the change it hovers 3/4 area and practically pins the meter when getting onto it. This really worries me because I have had the truck for over 6 years and was always in the 1/4 area. It's a 2014 gmc sierra with the LT4 or L83 engine. Trying to figure out if I have a faulty oil pump or if there is a calibration process? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Cbings

It's a L83 engine if it's a 5.3.

From the sounds of it, the 2 stage oil pump is stuck in the 2nd stage if the pressure doesn't go below half or 3/4. That stage of the pump isn't suppose to operate until 3,500rpm if I recall correctly. Nothing has to be calibrated for a new pump.

Very low chance that the oil filter is causing the oil pressure to be so high.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 2

More than likely need to replace it again. Could have been a bad pump out of the box.

Usually you get a P06DD code if you have low oil pressure but I don't think there is a code for when the pump is putting out too much pressure all the time.