2017 gmc sierra 2500hd 6in lift

Just got a 2017 gmc 2500hd with a 6in Fabtech lift it only has basic struts no coil overs is that normal? It rides very rough could I get better shocks/coil overs an maybe A arms to make it any better or just go down to a nice 4in lift?

IMG_0284.png

Edited by Ashtonross

15 hours ago, Ashtonross said:

Just got a 2017 gmc 2500hd with a 6in Fabtech lift it only has basic struts no coil overs is that normal? It rides very rough could I get better shocks/coil overs an maybe A arms to make it any better or just go down to a nice 4in lift?

IMG_0284.png

2500HD uses IFS torsion bar up front.  No struts, no coilovers.

I can see the problem though with it from that picture.  Someone put in the 6 inch lift, and then thought it was a great idea to jamb the torsion bar adjusters to the max.  That probably explains the crap ride.  You need to have the trim height set back to spec and then re-align the truck.  

A 2500HD with a 6 inch lift set up properly should ride close to what a stock 2500HD should.  

Edited by newdude

20 minutes ago, newdude said:

2500HD uses IFS torsion bar up front.  No struts, no coilovers.

I can see the problem though with it from that picture.  Someone put in the 6 inch lift, and then thought it was a great idea to jamb the torsion bar adjusters to the max.  That probably explains the crap ride.  You need to have the trim height set back to spec and then re-align the truck.  

A 2500HD with a 6 inch lift set up properly should ride close to what a stock 2500HD should.  

Appreciate it man I’m gonna check those out tmr a see how far I can do down with them without making tires rub. I took some air out of the tires this morning an it helped a good bit they were at 75psi

1 hour ago, Ashtonross said:

Appreciate it man I’m gonna check those out tmr a see how far I can do down with them without making tires rub. I took some air out of the tires this morning an it helped a good bit they were at 75psi

There's an actual measurement for this too, don't just back them out.

If its beyond your capacities, a good alignment shop should be able to set the trim and adjust the caster, camber and toe which will be necessary after adjusting trim height.

If you rub, might have to search for fender mod or trim the front air dam.    

Z Height Measurement

The Z height dimension measurement determines the proper ride height for the front end of the vehicle. No adjustment are possible and could require replacement of suspension components.

Note: Perform steps 3–9 for both sides of the vehicle.

Jounce the front suspension of the vehicle by pushing the vehicle down and lifting up.

Allow the vehicle to settle and take a measurement.

Point A is the contact surface of the steering knuckle for the levels.

Set the top edge of the level on the reference surface of the steering knuckle (C) and extend the level directly under the front end of the front attachment bolt of the lower control arm (A).

While keeping the level in contact with the knuckle reference surface, adjust the level up/down until the bubble indicates it is horizontally level.

Measure the distance between the center of the bolt and the top of the level for your first measurement

Keep the top edge of the level on the reference surface of the steering knuckle (C) and move the level directly under the rear end of the rear attachment bolt of the lower control arm (B).

Measure the distance between the center of the bolt and the top of the level for your second measurement.

Average the measurements between the step 6 and step 8.

Record the measurement.

Trim Height Specifications (2500/3500)
Trim Height Specifications

Model

Option

Service Allowed

Service Preferred

Cross Z Trim Height, L-R

Cross D Trim Height, L-R

C/K2500-C/K3500

All

128–140 mm (5.0–5.5 in)