2500 vs 3500 Suspension

revrnd

I've noticed that the ride of my 2024 seems more compliant than my 2017 when empty. I asked my friend who did the dealer swap if the 3500 he drove was a dually. 'No & the ride was pretty good.'

He's always driven 1/2 tons & has ridden in my trucks (all 3/4 tons) over the years. So I don't think he's ever driven a 3/4 ton. 

Are the T1XX HDs set up suspension wise so they ride softer empty but 'helper' springs take over when you start adding weight? I haven't looked @ the spring pack on my new truck to see how it is configured.

The 2500 spring pack has four primary stage leaf springs and a fifth second stage spring on the bottom of the pack that has fairly large end gaps to the primary springs. It begin to help when the suspension is depressed a couple of inches from the empty position. 

The 3500 also has four primary stage springs and a similar fifth second stage leaf, but the end gaps are much smaller in the empty position and it begins helping much sooner. The 3500 also has a separate third stage spring above the axle that engages bumpers on the frame and adds support at around 2/3 payload  C36607AD-F5CF-4A96-8D64-413EFBC8F7D2.thumb.jpeg.cd067df6c35070e1c6af1dc8620575ee.jpeg

Edited by Another JR
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Another JR said:

The 2500 spring pack has four primary stage leaf springs and a fifth second stage spring on the bottom of the pack that has fairly large end gaps to the primary springs. It begin to help when the suspension is depressed a couple of inches from the empty position. 

The 3500 also has four primary stage springs and a similar fifth second stage lead, but the end gaps are much smaller in the empty position and it begins helping much sooner. The 3500 also has a separate third stage spring above the axle that engages bumpers on the frame and adds support C36607AD-F5CF-4A96-8D64-413EFBC8F7D2.thumb.jpeg.cd067df6c35070e1c6af1dc8620575ee.jpegat around 2/3 payload. 

Thanks for the explanation. I'll post a similar pic from mine.