Low oil pressure at idle - P06DD intermittent

Really hoping someone on here can help. I'm at my wits end with this truck at this point and considering trading it in soon before another catasprohic failure occurs. Within a span of 6 months I had the AFM lifter failure and my trans go out resulting in approx. $12k of repairs. (The shop did not do the AFM/DoD delete).

Here's the current issue: my 2018 truck has 141,000 miles. I've noticed recently that once the truck gets up to temp, the oil pressure on the dash goes to almost zero when I'm idling at a stop light. When accelerating or driving, it hovers anywhere between 20-40psi depending on my rpm. 

I changed the oil and replaced the sending unit and filter screen, still notice the same behaviour. There is also a code P06DD that seems to come and go on its own, about once every couple weeks. 

I always use dexos 0w-20 oil, with the AC Delco filter, and make sure she's topped off at all times. 

I did take it to my shop and they were able to verify that the oil pump solenoid was working by commanding it ON/OFF with a scan tool. 

I've seen some folks say this pressure reading is normal and within GM spec for this motor, but I still have a sinking feeling in my gut about it. Has anyone else dealt with something similar? Is there anyhting else I need to check? Am I screwed and my oil pump is on its way out? 

Like I said, I'm kind of at a loss here so anything helps. 

Since the oil pressure sensor is reading the very end of the oiling circuit, there may be an issue with the VLOM (under the intake manifold), that's what controls the AFM lifters, if there is a sufficient amount of oil "leakage" somewhere on that gasket or seals, that could cause the low pressure you are talking about. I have run into that before.

On 10/1/2024 at 10:22 PM, Cole Shannon said:

Really hoping someone on here can help. I'm at my wits end with this truck at this point and considering trading it in soon before another catasprohic failure occurs. Within a span of 6 months I had the AFM lifter failure and my trans go out resulting in approx. $12k of repairs. (The shop did not do the AFM/DoD delete).

Here's the current issue: my 2018 truck has 141,000 miles. I've noticed recently that once the truck gets up to temp, the oil pressure on the dash goes to almost zero when I'm idling at a stop light. When accelerating or driving, it hovers anywhere between 20-40psi depending on my rpm. 

I changed the oil and replaced the sending unit and filter screen, still notice the same behaviour. There is also a code P06DD that seems to come and go on its own, about once every couple weeks. 

I always use dexos 0w-20 oil, with the AC Delco filter, and make sure she's topped off at all times. 

I did take it to my shop and they were able to verify that the oil pump solenoid was working by commanding it ON/OFF with a scan tool. 

I've seen some folks say this pressure reading is normal and within GM spec for this motor, but I still have a sinking feeling in my gut about it. Has anyone else dealt with something similar? Is there anyhting else I need to check? Am I screwed and my oil pump is on its way out? 

Like I said, I'm kind of at a loss here so anything helps. 

P06DD = High probability of needing an oil pump, or the harness that connects from the front cover to the oil pump that is behind the front cover of the engine.  The pump is the most common failure point (solenoid is part of the pump, hence pump replacement). 

We typically replace the harness and the timing chain tensioner as there's a TSB about the tensioner rubbing a hole into the oil pump.  

Edited by newdude