Reporting in to say my barely paid off 2 months ago ohh the irony and timing am I right!? 2019 bought new z71 l84 5.3 had lifter failure at 98k miles.

Background information I had DFM disabled via Diablo tuner around 60k miles. And changed my oil and filter every 5k miles sometimes even 4k miles . Used 0w30 for most of its life. I really thought  it would never happen to me 🤣🤣🤣

I was off roading on some trails and when I floored the gas one time I had instant power reduced  and clankingggggg. Typical lifter sound you hear everywhere. My question is I haven’t had it officially checked out it’s just been parked. I see Multiple DFM delete kits online. And was wondering what what’s the difference between them. I already have  DFM disabled via tuner. so in theory I just need the hard parts replaced and any other damaged components repaired. I refuse to buy another new truck not in this economy ever. Will not be a slave  to payments for my entire life lol. Rather fix. Any opinions would be appreciated.

And also I am a testament that tuning off DFM via tuner does NOT save your lifters. And changing your oil every 5k does neither. Just flip a quarter at any mileage and it’ll go boom when it wants to. 

Edited by 11bravoZ71

Usually the difference in a lot of AFM or DFM kits is what parts they include or don't. Like lifters and trays, is the camshaft just a stock grind with VVT or without VVT.

And you'll need to tune it again if you truly delete the DFM on it. If you remove all of the parts that go with it, there are many many DTC's and other settings that will need to be turned off to make it run. The tuners only disable the "master" switch for the AFM or DFM. In HP Tuners it's one drop down menu you change. But if you remove all the parts, you have to disable like 20 trouble codes for the AFM system and do other changes to the calibration file to stop limp mode or misfires.

Tuning a 2019+ truck isn't cheap and I'm not sure that Diablo has the ability to do it all. With HP Tuners it costs a pretty penny to do any real tuning on them.

• Like 1

I had a "non-AFM" lifter go bad on my 2016 at 106, 2xx miles............................ran in M5 around suburbia, and used Range device for long Interstate highways from less than 300miles on the clock..............................I feel your pain.......................

• Like 1

The pain is all to real @ the river. 
me laughing about is what makes it bearable 🤣 but I’m not really laughing lol. And camgtp thanks for the information!

If I still need to tune “tune” that much especially since I’m in California it might be a damn hassle. My ECM was originally locked from the factory and I was lucky to get it unlocked out of state and that’s how I was able to “tune” off DFM via handheld Diablo sport tuner. 
I need to find a shop that knows how to do this right otherwise I’ll be forced to rebuild it the OEM method. SMH 🤦‍♀️