new radio update recall N242435631

I didn't receive anything in the mail from GM yet but noticed on the my chevrolet app that my truck is affected by the recall N242435631 regarding a need to update the radio and serial communication firmware on the truck. From that others have said it looks like it updates you 2 editions for the android OS from android 10 to android 12 and some other fixes like the bug of the audio stopping at random. I had my truck in for it's annual inspection and they said to come back in a few weeks and drop the truck off for the recall because they have had it take 4 hours to update the radio.

What has the outcome been for those affected by the issue? How long was your truck out of service for while the dealer took care of the update? My radio isn't finding any OTA updates after the GM screw up a year ago where the OTA update bricked my transfer case module due to a wiring issue that had high resistance between the HMI and TCCM.

I really hope this update doesn't land my truck in the shop for another 2 weeks like last years f-up.

A) The slated time allotted for this update appears to be two hours based on the conversation I had with the Service Writer when I made my appointment.

B) The length of time indicated is apparently "enough" that GM will cover the cost of a loaner / rental.

C) My truck went in this morning for this update along with a couple of other small items to check / correct under warranty. I will not be getting my truck back at this point until AT LEAST Monday because...

They fried the Serial Data Gateway module in my truck attempting to perform the update. According to what the Service Writer told me when he called, they attempted to perform the update and when they connected the module they use to do the programming, it shorted out the Gateway Module and my truck is now sitting in a bay in their garage, completely dead.

They apparently located a part with another dealer in this region and were attempting have it brought in by end of day today, but there's no confirmation on that. If it doesn't show today, then they would expect to see it Monday. When they DO get the part, they will have to install it and perform diagnostics to determine if anything else got fried as well.

Based on GM's "not quite in time" method of stocking and delivering parts, I have zero confidence that I will get my truck back on Monday and would not be at all surprised if it ends up sitting on their lot for quite a while. My service experience with GM over the last four years or so has now just simply become comical.

We shall see...

The Chevrolet/GMC dealer in Stanleytown, VA, performed this recall on my 2024 2500HD Denali Ultimate while there for its 1st oil change on September 16th. They told me the update could take anywhere between 12 minutes and 2 hours. Of course mine took the full 2 hours. I have noticed no change in any of the truck's systems and operations.

15 minutes ago, tonto340 said:

The Chevrolet/GMC dealer in Stanleytown, VA, performed this recall on my 2024 2500HD Denali Ultimate while there for its 1st oil change on September 16th. They told me the update could take anywhere between 12 minutes and 2 hours. Of course mine took the full 2 hours. I have noticed no change in any of the truck's systems and operations.

One of the changes it is supposed to bring that I am looking forward to is one that you may not have noticed needing to be fixed...

If you start the truck when it's hot inside the cab, and you have the HVAC set to AUTO, it kicks on full blast initially. As the radio goes through its startup process, the audio will cut out multiple times and return, but the first drop-out coincides with the fan speed dropping down to the lowest setting and basically just staying there. The software update is supposed to fix that along with the audio drop-out issues so that neither of those things occurs going forward.