2018 centennial edition w/ 7500 miles, torque converter shudder at low throttle application.... new transmission??

Truck has a low throttle shudder, certainly feels like a torque converter shudder from my experience with vehicles. This is a 2018 Silverado 6.2 with the 8 speed auto. The truck only has 7500 miles on it. I called the dealer today to inquire if the transmission fluid was ever replaced under the TSB, and it was not. The truck is out of all the warranties except for the aftermarket warranty we still have on it. When I inquired with the service manager about doing the fluid flush, he said that his experience with these, the torque converter is already damaged. The service manager said that the warranty company would probably replace the entire transmission. He then asked how many miles were on it and was noticeably shocked when I told him 7500. Then he remembered the truck because it had all the lifters replaced under warranty 400 miles ago. 

So, Do what do you guys think? If the warranty company wants to replaced the entire trans should I let them? Do I have a choice in the matter? and will it be a new trans, or a remanufactured unit? Of course the truck will have to go to the dealer and get diagnosed, but I'm pretty confident we all know the issue is from the original fluid never being replaced.

image_50407169.JPG

I agree with JimC^^^     But research the Mobil 1 LV ATF HP, there's a BLACK & BLUE label & I believe one supersedes the other.

I had  a similar problem. My 2018 was preowned and  developed  a  shudder.  Since  this  was a certified preowned truck  it was under  warranty. I requested  the  Mobil 1  fluid  change however the dealer said according to their records it already had Mobil1 so they replaced the torque  converter. No more issues !!!

One of the MAIN reasons I bought my certified 2018 Denali with then 37k miles on it was because on the Carfax it stated it had the TQ converter replaced and fluid change.  If your truck is under warranty and the warranty department will cover a whole new transmission. Why not get it done and done the right way??  We all know these 8 speeds in the K2 models had their issues.  

Back in 2018 when I bought my SLT, the ONLY reason I got rid of it was because of the 8 speed shudder and clunking!  My dealership wasn't working with me, and already did the transmission flush, so I was just over 36k miles, so I traded it in for a 2019 High Country. Grew to not like the truck except for the 10 transmission.  Glad I sold it during pandemic and made money, then found this lightly used 18 Denali. I love this body style and the truck

You have a gorgeous truck, I love that color/combo package. I had a chance to get one of these Centennial Editions last year in March 2023 with 520 miles on it in Arkansas, but it had the 5.3L not the 6.2L.  Once you have a 6.2L, in my opinion you can't go back!  Good luck with your decision.

20 hours ago, WeberKettleGuy said:

Truck has a low throttle shudder, certainly feels like a torque converter shudder from my experience with vehicles. This is a 2018 Silverado 6.2 with the 8 speed auto. The truck only has 7500 miles on it. I called the dealer today to inquire if the transmission fluid was ever replaced under the TSB, and it was not. The truck is out of all the warranties except for the aftermarket warranty we still have on it. When I inquired with the service manager about doing the fluid flush, he said that his experience with these, the torque converter is already damaged. The service manager said that the warranty company would probably replace the entire transmission. He then asked how many miles were on it and was noticeably shocked when I told him 7500. Then he remembered the truck because it had all the lifters replaced under warranty 400 miles ago. 

So, Do what do you guys think? If the warranty company wants to replaced the entire trans should I let them? Do I have a choice in the matter? and will it be a new trans, or a remanufactured unit? Of course the truck will have to go to the dealer and get diagnosed, but I'm pretty confident we all know the issue is from the original fluid never being replaced.

Change the fluid.  Have them do the TSB flush and the shudder will go away.  

Changing the converter won't fix the fluid shudder, nor is your converter damaged.  6 speeds are the ones where the converter will be damaged. 

You have 7500mi on a 2018, high probability that original formula HP fluid has absorbed some water as that was what started the whole shudder issue was the fluid was too hygroscopic.   

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1