Very large addition being added to Flint assembly.

The new construction on the West side of the Flint assy is supposedly for the body shop and paint depts. Its visible from I-75 just North of Bristol rd exit. Hopefully that will add some additional colors to the current offerings. Even after the paint area improvements a few years back we still are only seeing limited colors. 

There was also news of a rezoning request by GM for an expansion of the storage lot off of Vanslyke rd South of the plant.  Apparently GM is trying to consolidate areas for staging trucks while awaiting shipping. Right now they have trucks scattered all around Flint and some of the yards are pretty nasty when the weather is bad. I saw a chassis cab on a hauler the other day that looked like it had been in a mud bog. Not the way an expensive new vehicle should be treated IMHO. 

• Like 1

With the expansions to Flint and Oshawa coming on line GM has really increased HD truck capacity.  THis will allow GM to more effectively challenge Ford on the commercial side, a market where GM has struggled in the last few years.  The company I work for buys a lot of GM HD's, and there were long periods where GM was only making loaded crew cab HD's and we couldn't get the regular cab cab and chassis models we buy.

I wonder if GM is giving any thought to moving medium duty commercial truck production back to Flint.  Silverado medium duty and G-cutaway trucks are coming from Navistar in Springfield OH and the LCF's come from Shyft Group in Charlotte MI..  

If I was a board member of GM I would be insistent that upper management have contingency plans on expanding most all of their US assembly plants. If DJT wins on Nov. 5th, he has threatened 100% tariffs on made in Mexico autos. GM assembles a lot of their mid-size crossovers in Mexico and this would be a major issue for them. Personally I think this tariff issue with Mexico would be a negotiating ploy to get Mexico's cooperation with the border problem, but still GM needs to be ready.

1 hour ago, C/K Man said:

With the expansions to Flint and Oshawa coming on line GM has really increased HD truck capacity.  THis will allow GM to more effectively challenge Ford on the commercial side, a market where GM has struggled in the last few years.  The company I work for buys a lot of GM HD's, and there were long periods where GM was only making loaded crew cab HD's and we couldn't get the regular cab cab and chassis models we buy.

I wonder if GM is giving any thought to moving medium duty commercial truck production back to Flint.  Silverado medium duty and G-cutaway trucks are coming from Navistar in Springfield OH and the LCF's come from Shyft Group in Charlotte MI..  

I think a big reason more ppl are buying HD trucks is because of what’s happening with half tons. All going to v6 and turbos and all of them have all the “features” to appease the epa the start stop and cylinder deactivation etc. 

Thats probably the biggest reason I switched. And I just liked the more squared off look of the hd. All the half tons have gotten very soft looking. The new soccer mom mobiles. 

• Like 3

Like a fart outside in Florida the mediums are gone and aint coming back. There is zero room at the Flint plant to bring them back and expansion on the current footprint is limited. They are still running production 6 days a week over 3 shifts. 

Pryme is right about the 1500 vs 2500/3500 trucks. Very little price difference between a 1500 and 2500 and way more truck and towing ability for the cash. The hit is on economy. The L8T has avoided more emissions equipment for now but the rumor is that the L8S for the 27's  is going to have a significant EGR system and that aint good in my book. The Govt has been looking hard at HD trucks. 

Saw that as well driving down 75/23 yesterday headed to do some camping. Great to see the investment in Flint. A saw a line of new trucks going into the old horse racing grounds off of I-69 on Morrish. I assume they are using that now to store trucks. 

40 minutes ago, Ry Guy said:

Saw that as well driving down 75/23 yesterday headed to do some camping. Great to see the investment in Flint. A saw a line of new trucks going into the old horse racing grounds off of I-69 on Morrish. I assume they are using that now to store trucks. 

Yes that is one of several. Some behind the tool and die plant in Grand blanc and more over by the old Buick city complex. 

Theres plenty of money being thrown around Flint. It just never seems to make any difference. The state has been propping up their PD for a long long time. 

Edited by 64BAwagon

On 9/26/2024 at 10:14 AM, 64BAwagon said:

The new construction on the West side of the Flint assy is supposedly for the body shop and paint depts. Its visible from I-75 just North of Bristol rd exit. Hopefully that will add some additional colors to the current offerings. Even after the paint area improvements a few years back we still are only seeing limited colors. 

I was in Oshawa Truck when we got the new paint shop (multiple booths) for GMT400 production. The number of available colours dropped like a rock from the C/K. Heck we couldn't even paint SEO colours which were commonplace. As most if you know the colour choices seem to be the same year in, year out. When a new colour is intro'd, everyone & their dog orders it. The 'Elpo Grey' being the exception...

Edited by revrnd

Not to mention the absence of two tone 

My last 3 trucks have all been radiant red or cajun red or whatever they call it. 

My old favorite was indigo blue, I had a few of those in the 90's 

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, C/K Man said:

I was by the current Truck Plant in Oshawa the other day. No major expansions other than some minor steel erection near where the frames are received. The area where the 'old' Car Plant paint shop was located is vacant & could be used.

I'm not sure how much floor space made up the Car Plant, but seeing as it was comprised of 'Plants 1 & 2' (2 complete assembly operations compared to 1 in the original Truck Plant), I'm sure they have more than enough 'building' in what used to be Parts & Service (warehousing), Chassis & Body.

Does anyone know if GM has any plans to sell the MDs in Canada? I haven't seen any since their intro. The Navistar dealer in Peterborough, Ontario usually has 1 on their lot & I have seen a few on the roads here.

Edited by revrnd

I was past Ft Wayne on the Labour Day weekend going to & from Indy. I didn't notice any construction from I-469/I-69. Mind you they did have a major expansion prior to the T1XX program.

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Does anyone know if GM has any plans to sell the MDs in Canada? I haven't seen any since their intro. The Navistar dealer in Peterborough, Ontario usually has 1 on their lot & I have seen a few on the roads here.

Not to my knowledge.  Does Chevy sell the Isuzu-based LCF trucks in Canada?  The Silverado medium duty trucks are common here.

Ford moved their medium duty trucks back 'in house', but I was told that was due at least in part to give a plant (Avon Lake) a product becuse Ford committed to the UAW to keep it open.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, C/K Man said:

Not to my knowledge.  Does Chevy sell the Isuzu-based LCF trucks in Canada?  The Silverado medium duty trucks are common here.

Ford moved their medium duty trucks back 'in house', but I was told that was due at least in part to give a plant (Avon Lake) a product becuse Ford committed to the UAW to keep it open.  

Isuzi was common a few years ago. There was an 'abandoned' 1 in our plant's shipping yard, it sat there for years. A co-worker said it had a small block Chevy motor in it. Hino seems to be the conventional cab MD truck of choice here.

Edited by revrnd