Is it possible to put a 2022 Sierra in neutral with the car off?

My 2022 Sierra Denali had a fuel pump issue and randomly shut off while I was in line on the road with a bunch of other cars. We could not get it in neutral and the tow truck that eventually came had to drag it onto the bed which is obviously not great. I guess this is for safety purposes, but is there really no way to override this feature to move a stalled car out of a dangerous situation?  I have to regularly park in a garage for work and if my car won’t start in there it would be too low for a tow truck to get in. 

In the owner's manual, transmission use section: look for "car wash mode". Several options, but for a tow:

To place the vehicle in N (Neutral) with the engine off and the vehicle unoccupied:

1. Drive to the entrance of the car wash.

2. Apply the brake pedal.

3. Open the door.

4. Shift to N (Neutral).

5. Turn off the engine and release the brake pedal.

6. The indicator should continue to show N. If it does not, repeat Steps 2–5.

7. Exit the vehicle and close the door. The vehicle is now ready for the car wash.

8. The vehicle may automatically shift to P (Park) upon re-entry.

Should work with the truck on (long press of the start/stop), the engine doesn't need to be running.

On 9/24/2024 at 6:17 AM, Tdj83 said:

My 2022 Sierra Denali had a fuel pump issue and randomly shut off while I was in line on the road with a bunch of other cars. We could not get it in neutral and the tow truck that eventually came had to drag it onto the bed which is obviously not great. I guess this is for safety purposes, but is there really no way to override this feature to move a stalled car out of a dangerous situation?  I have to regularly park in a garage for work and if my car won’t start in there it would be too low for a tow truck to get in. 

Can I assume you have the updated 2022.5 with the shift by wire console shifter?

If so, no, the engine must be running to exit park position.  Transmission requires hydraulic pressure (engine running) to relieve the park pawl.

The only bypass is a special tool that GM dealers would have for moving a dead vehicle around the lot.  Its a cable that is installed which allows a temporary override of the park pawl.

If you had the column shift, those can be shifted with the engine off.  

Not sure why GM didn't add one of those pull cables like Jeep and other vehicles have.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Just now, redwngr said:

@newdude will the two speed transfer case shift to neutral with the engine off?

Transmission has to be in neutral to shift the transfer case into neutral first, so engine has to be running on a console shift truck.  It doesn't specify for column shift but I assume they wrote it this way to cover both.  

tcase.thumb.png.ad1c0f05fa4ff1b2f0ea0c71985a06d5.png