1st oil change. 2023 Sierra 5.3

Decided to change myself instead of taking to the dealership for the free oil change.
Went to purchase Mobile1 Dexos1 oil and filter. Filter type: STP Extended Life part number S10590XL. I noticed they have 2 sizes with the same exact P/N (see pic). One of which is about an inch longer than the other. Removed them from the boxes and sure enough one is longer. Used the cross reference book to check out other brand options. I found quite a mix of long verses short options that all show to fit my 5.3 engine.

I assume the long one is better but want to make certain I have this correct. Of course the parts guy had no idea.
I searched the forum and found some mention of bypass pressure differences which only added to my concerns. 

Thank you. 

IMG_0714.jpeg

Being your still under warranty I would stick to the original AC oil filter which I did and still do even though iam out of warranty on my 2019 due to the fact if something would happen to the motor under warranty they can't blame it on the aftermarket oil filter. Also save your receipt and write the mileage on the receipt incase something would happen you have proof you changed the oil. Don't forget to reset the OLM.

Edited by Silverado4x4

Not sure what the story is on the STP filter. In light of the confusion I would look at a different brand. The AC PF63 is the filter for your truck but youre under no obligation to use an AC filter to maintain your warranty. If youre buying your filter at A-Z youre paying too much. Walmart had a much better selection for less $$. Around here the Chevy dealer sells AC filters for less than Walmart. 

Perhaps one is a copy of PF26 and the other PF63? 

A couple years ago, GM changed the recommendation for several applications from PF26 to PF63. 

They indicate that PF63 is preferred but that PF26 is acceptable when PF63 is not available.

The PF63 filter is 3/4 inches (19 mm) narrower than the PF26 filter, but it has a taller pleat height, which maximizes volume efficiency and cold flow performance. (Fig. 7)

F07-filter-2.pngFig. 7

Service Information and the Parts Catalog will be updated shortly. For more information and part numbers, refer to #PIP5870. 

I generally use Delco filters, but I don't buy them at a dealer.

'Free' oil change is really a 'pre-paid' oil change.

Might as well make use of it. 

Doesn't have to be at the dealer that sold the vehicle.

Edited by redwngr