Wifi question please help.

15 Z71

So after my free 1 month trial was up thru onstar I can't get my phone to keep my wifi off. I go into my phone settings and turn it off, as soon  as I start truck it auto connects. Problem is I can't open certain apps. (My McDonald's app). Doesn't android auto work just off Bluetooth? Driving me crazy now matter what I do it won't stay off. Please help! Thanks!

android auto uses wifi for it to connect since bluetooth does not have the high bandwidth requirements for a good connection.

I'm assuming you mean your phone is connecting to your trucks wifi hotspot connection it's broadcasting? If so and it's not for android auto then just go into your phone and forget the trucks wifi network from your list of connected networks. once android auto is started your phone will connect to the network just for the purpose of wireless android auto connectivity. If you use android auto with a wired connection then the wifi is not required.

34 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

android auto uses wifi for it to connect since bluetooth does not have the high bandwidth requirements for a good connection.

I'm assuming you mean your phone is connecting to your trucks wifi hotspot connection it's broadcasting? If so and it's not for android auto then just go into your phone and forget the trucks wifi network from your list of connected networks. once android auto is started your phone will connect to the network just for the purpose of wireless android auto connectivity. If you use android auto with a wired connection then the wifi is not required.

So if I turn off android auto in truck it won't keep automatically turning on my wifi? 

You don't want to turn off android auto, you want to forget your truck's wifi network (the truck's hotspot).  This doesn't affect Android Auto (or CarPlay) as these both work over a combination of Bluetooth and P2P WiFi.

To forget a Wi-Fi network on an Android device, you can do the following:
  1. Open your device's Settings app
  2. Tap Network & internet
  3. Touch and hold a saved network
  4. Tap Forget

13 hours ago, 15 Z71 said:

So after my free 1 month trial was up thru onstar I can't get my phone to keep my wifi off. I go into my phone settings and turn it off, as soon  as I start truck it auto connects. Problem is I can't open certain apps. (My McDonald's app). Doesn't android auto work just off Bluetooth? Driving me crazy now matter what I do it won't stay off. Please help! Thanks!

You should be able to go into network settings on your phone and allow it to connect to cellular and wifi at the same time. Or, you can turn off wireless android auto under developer settings *in* android auto. No, android auto doesn't just use bluetooth.