Not sure what to expect from my 1st dealer service. Apparently I get my 1st oil change free from GM. What type oil should I expect them to use synthetic, or conventional? If the answer is conventional is it recommended to upgrade to synthetic for the 5.3 engine? 

The truck is a 2023 Sierra

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Everything now takes full synthetic dexos oil, has been that way for a long time.

It's a 0W20 engine, your owners manual has this information too.

Thanks. Good to hear it’s only full synthetic now. I’m out of town and unable to check the owners manual.

Edited by Jimbeau

16 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Nobody touches my vehicles for fluid maintenance but me. 

Glad you mentioned this. I’ve always done the oil changes on my previous trucks. They were older models and super straightforward. I should probably look into how difficult it is on this new 5.3

3 hours ago, Jimbeau said:

Glad you mentioned this. I’ve always done the oil changes on my previous trucks. They were older models and super straightforward. I should probably look into how difficult it is on this new 5.3

Difficult? No different then any other motor since the V8 was made. Iam done within 20-30 minutes and that's taking my time.

Yeah, sometimes they can find the most difficult places to put a oil filter. My last truck was a Ford. Had to reach down to my armpit to get to the filter. No matter what technique I tried it made a mess with that filter. One vehicle I remember had a plastic skid plate in the way.
I just did an Internet search on the new 5.3. Looks like it’s just as easy as changing oil in my old 98 Chevy:)

Our new side x side has an oil filter while easy to get to can't be changed without the oil from it getting on the skid plate. You can't properly clean the skid plate due to design and access, so I spray it with cleaner before and after filter removal.

Give it a rinse when washing the machine.

6 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Nobody touches my vehicles for fluid maintenance but me. 

Been that way for me my whole life. Especially now that I will use a 5w30 in my new `25, 5.3. You KNOW no one will put that in my truck. Even though I brought the oil to them. A dealer? No way in hell.

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Our new side x side has an oil filter while easy to get to can't be changed without the oil from it getting on the skid plate. You can't properly clean the skid plate due to design and access, so I spray it with cleaner before and after filter removal.

Give it a rinse when washing the machine.

Is the filter horizontal or vertical? Can you put a solo cup under it while you take it off?  That would catch the oil.