Replacement Tailgate Cables

Are 87843669/70 the correct part numbers for the tailgate cables for the basic non-power tailgate? I noticed that one of mine must be off spec so there is a lot of slop while the other side is tight so I was going to replace them. Don’t want something getting messed up since all the weight is pulling on one side.

I may ask the dealer to see if this is something warranty will cover but I’m not sure. It definitely came this way from the factory. 

Edited by AndrewF

I took it in to the dealer today for the battery drain recall and had them look at the cables. They also checked a few other trucks on the lot and oddly they all had the same situation/"issue", the drivers side cable was sloppy while the passenger side is tight.  They said it is cause of the torsion bar system on the passenger side and that the weight is held up by that so not to worry.

That doesn't make sense and don't believe them but I couldn't do much since the rest of the trucks we looked at were all the same way.  Does anyone else have this occurring?  I'll have to measure the cable length to see if they're different or if something else is at play. I just don't want to put a bunch of weight on the tailgate and bend something since all the weight is being supported on only 1 side.

Edited by AndrewF

On 9/12/2024 at 7:28 PM, AndrewF said:

Are 87843669/70 the correct part numbers for the tailgate cables for the basic non-power tailgate? I noticed that one of mine must be off spec so there is a lot of slop while the other side is tight so I was going to replace them. Don’t want something getting messed up since all the weight is pulling on one side.

I may ask the dealer to see if this is something warranty will cover but I’m not sure. It definitely came this way from the factory. 

14 minutes ago, AndrewF said:

I took it in to the dealer today for the battery drain recall and had them look at the cables. They also checked a few other trucks on the lot and oddly they all had the same situation/"issue", the drivers side cable was sloppy while the passenger side is tight.  They said it is cause of the torsion bar system on the passenger side and that the weight is held up by that so not to worry.

That doesn't make sense and don't believe them but I couldn't do much since the rest of the trucks we looked at were all the same way.  Does anyone else have this occurring?  I'll have to measure the cable length to see if they're different or if something else is at play. I just don't want to put a bunch of weight on the tailgate and bend something since all the weight is being supported on only 1 side.

One cable will slack by design.  Its intended to do this.

Read the GM PIT3227S: Normal Characteristic - Tailgate Cable Slack here about it that I've linked from the NHTSA site - static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10237648-9999.pdf 

1 hour ago, newdude said:

One cable will slack by design.  Its intended to do this.

Read the GM PIT3227S: Normal Characteristic - Tailgate Cable Slack here about it that I've linked from the NHTSA site - static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10237648-9999.pdf 

I guess at least it’s an expected condition, thanks for sharing.