Snow tires

rjgvt

I started my quest to get winter wheels for my truck soon after I got it this past January. I like to have a spare set of wheels/snow tires so I can change them over in October and April. I had a set for my 1500's but sold them as they were 17", same size as the spare.

I found a set at an offroad shop in April and bought them. They look like Denali wheels that the shop sent out to be powder coated and are the same size as my OEM wheels, 20 x 8.5 with the stock offset, 47mm.

Went to my local tire shop to order non-studded Hakkapeliitta LT3 tires in LT275/65/R20 sometime in July. There were 3 in the country that were available. Tire shop got them and stored them for me until a 4th one came in. I called the US Nokian phone number and a guy that lives in my town in VT answered which was odd. He didn't think any would show up until October due to the Russian plant being shut down for obvious reasons. Called him again last week and still none. I asked about the studded version and there were 77 available in my size at the local Nokian warehouse. He told me that they run Nokian studded tires on all of there cars/truck. Went to the tire shop and changed the order for the studded version.

Got them put on today along with the GM TPMS sensors I got from my GMC dealer. Also picked up a wheel dolly from Harbor Freight last week when it was $25 off. Plan is to use it to lift the wheels/tires to install when changing over twice a year. They are made to lift a vehicle with 4 of them to move a vehicle in a garage.

Removed a front wheel today and installed one of the new wheel/tire combos with the HF dolly and it worked out well. Put the original wheel/tire on with the dolly. It beats lifting a wheel/tire to get it on considering that I'm not getting any younger or stronger. 

Snow tires.jpg

Wheel dolly.jpg

Edited by rjgvt
  • Like 1

I like the thought of the wheel dolly. I was just by Harbor Freight on Tuesday. Wish I'd known about it then. I'm at the age too where tires are not getting lighter and I rotate my own. I live in N WI, so am very familiar with snow. I had a 2-wheel drive car that couldn't make it up my driveway with 2 inches of snow with all-season tires (misnomer). I bought an extra set of tires/wheels for that. Problem was storage plus when I got rid of the vehicle the new owner didn't want them, so I had to get rid of them. I replaced the car with a SUV. 1st snow I went right into the ditch with the all-season tires that came on that. Put snow tires on it immediately. Looked at my options. Another set of wheels and tires, another set of tires to swap on rims twice a year and running snow tires year around. Due to storage logistics and convenience, I went to running snow tires year around. Probably a little rougher ride and I only get half the miles on them that I get on regular tires, but it works for me. My truck came with the all-terrain tire option, and they seem to be doing just fine in the snow. 

Harbor Freight has sales often. The dolly is nice as it is mechanical and no hydraulic cylinder. 

I don't think I stated in my first post that I had a set of the non-studded Hakkapeliitta LT3's on my last 1500. I had to travel out of state 3 hours away every week for the last 8 months of my work life that went into winter. My last commute was in a freezing rain/snow storm. My truck was coated in ice. I drove on the thruway in NY at 45mph with the flashers on. I made it to work with no issues. 

If you need snow tires and can afford the $$ for Nokian snow tires, I think they are some of the best. After getting stuck in the boonies with AT tires several years ago, its dedicated snow tires for me. The guys that helped get me turned around to get out all had studded snow tires. 

2 hours ago, rjgvt said:

Harbor Freight has sales often. The dolly is nice as it is mechanical and no hydraulic cylinder. 

I don't think I stated in my first post that I had a set of the non-studded Hakkapeliitta LT3's on my last 1500. I had to travel out of state 3 hours away every week for the last 8 months of my work life that went into winter. My last commute was in a freezing rain/snow storm. My truck was coated in ice. I drove on the thruway in NY at 45mph with the flashers on. I made it to work with no issues. 

If you need snow tires and can afford the $$ for Nokian snow tires, I think they are some of the best. After getting stuck in the boonies with AT tires several years ago, its dedicated snow tires for me. The guys that helped get me turned around to get out all had studded snow tires. 

As it would turn out, I checked this morning, and my closest Harbor Freight (50 miles away) doesn't stock them. Said I could go to the store, order it and have it shipped to the store for free (2 trips to store). Checked on shipping it - $6.99 - oh hell yes! Wouldn't make one trip for $6.99.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 7:31 AM, rjgvt said:

I started my quest to get winter wheels for my truck soon after I got it this past January. I like to have a spare set of wheels/snow tires so I can change them over in October and April. I had a set for my 1500's but sold them as they were 17", same size as the spare.

I found a set at an offroad shop in April and bought them. They look like Denali wheels that the shop sent out to be powder coated and are the same size as my OEM wheels, 20 x 8.5 with the stock offset, 47mm. Geometry Dash Scratch

Went to my local tire shop to order non-studded Hakkapeliitta LT3 tires in LT275/65/R20 sometime in July. There were 3 in the country that were available. Tire shop got them and stored them for me until a 4th one came in. I called the US Nokian phone number and a guy that lives in my town in VT answered which was odd. He didn't think any would show up until October due to the Russian plant being shut down for obvious reasons. Called him again last week and still none. I asked about the studded version and there were 77 available in my size at the local Nokian warehouse. He told me that they run Nokian studded tires on all of there cars/truck. Went to the tire shop and changed the order for the studded version.

Got them put on today along with the GM TPMS sensors I got from my GMC dealer. Also picked up a wheel dolly from Harbor Freight last week when it was $25 off. Plan is to use it to lift the wheels/tires to install when changing over twice a year. They are made to lift a vehicle with 4 of them to move a vehicle in a garage.

Removed a front wheel today and installed one of the new wheel/tire combos with the HF dolly and it worked out well. Put the original wheel/tire on with the dolly. It beats lifting a wheel/tire to get it on considering that I'm not getting any younger or stronger. 

Snow tires.jpg

Wheel dolly.jpg

I like your idea. Replacing new wheels will help the car operate better and above all it provides safety when moving.

Edited by Johnsondavid