Help me diagnose a problem

2007 (NBS) Sierra Denali AWD 1500.  160k miles.  In the 100k miles I’ve had the truck, I’ve done a sensor or two, ball joints, cv axles and wheel bearings.  Truck has original (transmission, differentials, drivetrain, etc.) 

Around 3 weeks ago I was pulling a 12ft utility trailer, (maybe 1500lbs loaded) and I noticed a weird shake/shimmy starting around 40mph while the truck was under load and with throttle.  Notice it most when truck shifts up, and maintains a lower rpm.  Fast forward to now and it seems to have gotten worse, I am occasionally hearing a little noise that starts around 15, ends around 30, but still the shake @ 40 ish.  The shake gets worse and worse as speed goes up.. BUT ONLY under acceleration.  If I take my foot off the gas, it stops.  

I’ve read it could be ujoints, TC, transmission, front end issues (since it’s AWD), rear end issues, sort of all over the map.  

I will say this transmission has the clunkiest and clankiest transmission I’ve ever had, but it seems to be hanging on by a thread and it’s been that way the whole time I’ve owned the truck.  This issue doesn’t seem to impact shifting at all, if anything the shake might stop if for only during a moment during the shift itself.  

Would appreciate any ideas you have, things to look for.   Going to be hard to put a 4k transmission in a 7k truck, so just trying to see what I can do or should do.  

When it is vibrating, lightly rest your foot on the brake pedal - just enough to turn the brake lights on - while maintaining the level of 'acceleration' you were. 

This will cause the torque converter to 'unlock' or cease its attempts to do so.

Could also be a miss fire but I would expect a check engine light.

Maybe driveshaft is out of balance.