Anyone using ACDelco additives to avoid DFM issues?

I have a 2023 Sierra 4x4 with the 5.3 DFM engine. Purchased new 13 months ago. 

After voicing my DFM concerns to my trusted independent mechanic he made a few suggestions: 
-Always run Top Tier fuel. I’m using Costco gas.

-Frequent oil changes. I’m only at 3,000 miles but the truck is a year old now. Guessing it’s about time for my first oil change… 
-Use ACDelco 10-3012 fuel treatment every 5,000 miles. 
He’s equally adamant about all 3 suggestions. 

Has anyone been using this 10-3012 fuel treatment in the new 5.3 engines? If so I’d appreciate feedback. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeau said:

I have a 2023 Sierra 4x4 with the 5.3 DFM engine. Purchased new 13 months ago. 

After voicing my DFM concerns to my trusted independent mechanic he made a few suggestions: 
-Always run Top Tier fuel. I’m using Costco gas.

-Frequent oil changes. I’m only at 3,000 miles but the truck is a year old now. Guessing it’s about time for my first oil change… 
-Use ACDelco 10-3012 fuel treatment every 5,000 miles. 
He’s equally adamant about all 3 suggestions. 

Has anyone been using this 10-3012 fuel treatment in the new 5.3 engines? If so I’d appreciate feedback. 

Thanks. 

No I don't use the fuel additive. I do change oil between 2500 and 3000 miles. Oil is cheap insurance. Top Tier fuel is good but I just use 87 octane pump gas. I really wanted a 6.2 but they require premium fuel. My Trail Boss is almost identical mechanically to your Sierra 5.3 DFM, 10 speed trans, 4X4 of course and purchased new 13 months ago. That's how I run mine.

• 3 weeks later...

3k miles in a year, change it at least yearly. In fact a lot of the GM oil life monitors will go to zero life after a year. 

Only fuel additive I use is one with PEA in it to keep injectors clean. 

Real life story, my DIL '16 3.6 Equinox had erratic engine stuttering at highway speeds, nothing around town. About 110k miles on it. I told her to run 2 tanks of gas with Gumout all in one in it and the stuttering went away. No CEL or codes either. I've got her on the every oil change to toss a bottle in now. Who knows what brands of regular she is running in it. 

I only use fuel additives with PEA in my fleet, not sure if the GM one has it. Techron is good and the Gumout all in one is readily available and it does say PEA on the label. 

Fuel treatments wouldn't have an affect on AFM/DFM that I can think of whatsoever.

Its the maintenance which is key.  A good oil and changed frequently.  Mind you, I only put about 50k on each of the two 5.3s I owned, but my 2012 I would change every 3000mi, no AFM lifters failed, and my 2019 LD (the old body like a 2018), same thing, changed every 3000mi, still ran 0w20 even and never had a lifter failure or camshaft failure.  

There could be arguments made on that change interval, sure.  The big thing I come back to is relying on the oil life monitor but using the bare minimum of oils on that.  You can see the internals of some of these engines and you can tell its from pushing the oils too far on drain (OLM to 0%) and using the bulk dealer oils (AC Delco Dexos 5w30 or 0w20).  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, newdude said:

Fuel treatments wouldn't have an affect on AFM/DFM that I can think of whatsoever.

Its the maintenance which is key.  A good oil and changed frequently.  Mind you, I only put about 50k on each of the two 5.3s I owned, but my 2012 I would change every 3000mi, no AFM lifters failed, and my 2019 LD (the old body like a 2018), same thing, changed every 3000mi, still ran 0w20 even and never had a lifter failure or camshaft failure.  

There could be arguments made on that change interval, sure.  The big thing I come back to is relying on the oil life monitor but using the bare minimum of oils on that.  You can see the internals of some of these engines and you can tell its from pushing the oils too far on drain (OLM to 0%) and using the bulk dealer oils (AC Delco Dexos 5w30 or 0w20).  

I know this sounds odd but if the tune and fuel delivery is sub optimum fuel’s dilution will

make deposits on AFM components over time making a sticky translucent deposit that’s varnish or shellac like that IS impacted by polymeric fuel additives after they are EGR’d especially.