Will Sierra and Tahoe frames swap

GMC-Love

Question

I have a 1999 2wd ext cab New Sierra step side. My frame is in bad condition having come from up north somewhere (I'm guessing.) 

I've found a 2004 Tahoe with no motor and trans for $500 (the frame is good.) 

Will these 2 frames interchange? Can I put this Tahoe frame under my GMC New Sierra body and use my engine and trans? With no problems?

5 answers to this question

One of the best way to find out is go to a body shop that does frame work. They will have a data base of all the frame measurements. Myself I kind of doubt it. The 1999 - 2006 sierra is built on the GMT800/880 platform. The 2000-2006 Tahoe is built on the GMT820 platform.

Good Luck

12 hours ago, GMC-Love said:

I have a 1999 2wd ext cab New Sierra step side. My frame is in bad condition having come from up north somewhere (I'm guessing.) 

I've found a 2004 Tahoe with no motor and trans for $500 (the frame is good.) 

Will these 2 frames interchange? Can I put this Tahoe frame under my GMC New Sierra body and use my engine and trans? With no problems?

No.  Wheelbases are different, as are cab mount locations.  

Tahoe is 116" wheelbase, your truck is 143.5" wheelbase.  

You need to find a like donor truck, extended cab 2wd with 6.5ft box.  

Edited by newdude

Is there a do it at home way to straighten a frame with some rust? I'm in a crunch. And on a SSI budget. It was at night and I hit the tow hook on the front passenger side of my truck into a concrete low boy pole. Didn't even see it. Thankfully I want going very fast about 10mph ... But it did scoot my wheels back about an inch and half in both wheel wells on passenger side. Any thoughts?

If the frame moved that much, it's a complete gonner. All of your alignment specs are totally out of whack now too. It's not going to track straight and will start chewing up tires.