1999 Silverado 1500 Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Hi all,

I have a leak coming from my oil pan on my 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. It is the 4x4 with the 5.3L engine.

I can’t see it being a rear main leak, as no oil is dripping down off of the transmission bell housing. It’s all seeping from around the oil pan gasket. There is oil dripping from around the starter though but the majority is coming from the oil pan seals as stated. The oil cooler block off plate only has one bolt holding it in, so I have to drop the pan anyways to remove that broken bolt. I have a spare pan on hand anyways in case I can’t get the bolt out but I will likely end up replacing the pan in its entirety as the new one is already clean and ready for install.

I also grabbed a new o-ring for the oil pickup tube while I’d have the pan out.

Is replacing the pan & gasket as simple as I’ve been reading? I.e., unbolt the front differential, raise it up so pan can clear, then move the crossmembers out of the way?

I’d really rather not have to take apart the entire lower front end, which is what every YouTube video does. However, commenters on those videos have stated that the easier way is to do the above mentioned.

I greatly appreciate any input and advice!

Take care,

- J

Edit****

Read that oil dripping off starter is likely due to the crankshaft position sensor o-ring which is pretty common. It’s not leaking from the starter all that bad right now so I will leave that for another day.