Borla true dual exhaust requires X pipe to keep performance?

Just watched a YT video of a review that several months after installing the True Dual setup from Borla on his 2020 Chev. He said he noticed some peformance decrease and drone and reached out to Borla about it. Borla confirmed that you needed some sort of X pipe to overcome this issue. He reached out to a local shop who also confirmed this and they created him one.

After installing, it's changed the sound to something higher pitch, which wasn't desirable and the drone inside the cab hasn't went away.

Anyone else have the true duals and have any experience to share?

I'd been considering this if the true dual S type ever went on sale to compliment my setup a bit more, but this experience is concerning.

I am running a custom true dual setup with an x-pipe and Borla XR1s. I originally dumped them under the truck and there was some drone, have them exit behind the right rear wheel now and have no  drone and sounds great.

Also running a Gen 5 Whipple.

Edited by AZ_SS
  • Like 1

I was amazed years ago when a buddy ran duals straight out the back, and inside the cab was quite mellow.

couple years later i put a glasspack on a truck, the drone was horrible, i cut the final 90 off and im sold on no 90's out the side, just go straight out the back 

1 hour ago, AZ_SS said:

I am running a custom true dual setup with an x-pipe and Borla XR1s. I originally dumped them under the truck and there was some drone, have them exit behind the right rear wheel now and have no  drone and sounds great.

Also running a Gen 5 Whipple.

So your running two mufflers and not one, correct? The S-type for my truck has both pipes going into one muffler. Perhaps that's the difference that is needed? You have a pic of underneath?

I have a pic before I ran it out the side. Once it cools down here in Phx, I will roll under it to get a pic of how it is now.

20240715_120945.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SierraStorm21 said:

I'm still curious as to the reason why you'd need an X pipe to begin with. Some sort of backpressure sensor issue or something?

It helps scavenge exhaust pulses from side to side.

• Like 1