My tips from just installing Amp Research Powersteps on a 2024

Finally done.

1 - You don’t have to drill holes in your truck for the lights.  With long enough wires you can pull various body plugs and run the wires inside your rocker panels.  I used a piece of small rubber hose with a metal wire inside (to keep it stiff) to fish the light wires through.  Modify the body plugs to go back in place afterwards and you have a much cleaner installation (I notched the long ones and made holes on the centers of the rounds ones).  Apply some clear sealer to the plugs and you are done.

Speaking of lights, I used white pods from xlglow that matched the truck.  Amp’s lights are purple

Also, I used plugs for the lights instead of the crimp connectors from AMP.  That way if a light goes out I can replace it easier. I covered the plugs in shrink wrap.

2 - Install the boards on the arms LAST.  This will give you plenty of room to work under the truck during the install.  Amp tells you to do them before wiring which is a mistake.

3 - To remove the BCM connectors:  Pull the white tap up and then squeeze a 2nd tab under the white one while pulling the plug out.  Once you get the hang of it they are easy to remove

4 - My kit had enough wiring harness to go over the coolant tank on the driver’s side.  Amp tells you to go under the truck before the cooling tank which again is a bad idea IMO.

5 - Turn your front tires hard to one side before beginning.  This will give you the needed room to remove the bolts from the front mudflaps and liner to allow you to snake the wires down under the truck.  Don’t forget the liner bolt midways up towards the engine

6 - Pull off your negative battery cable to avoid codes when unplugging the BCM connectors

7 - Amp tells you to use the brake cable boot in the drive’s footwell to get the wires in the cab.  Trucks with an electric parking brake don’t have this.  I used a blank rubber plug near the doorsill under the carpet

8 - I don’t like how Amp tells you to mount the controller but couldn’t come up with a better idea.

Give yourself plenty of time and buy lots and lots of tie wraps, especially the really long ones to go around the frame on the driver’s side.  This was an all weekend project for me but I wanted everything done right.  Properly routing all the wires takes a lot of time.

Finally, prepare to get filthy from the dirty frame wax.  Nasty stuff.

Edited by Aubie_01
  • Like 2