Mixed info from dealer and manual RE: 10 Speed 45K service

Just took our '21 1500 Denali in for a 45,000 mile service and asked for the transmission fluid and filter to be changed per the severe schedule in the owner's manual.  After the truck was done, we noticed the invoice only listed fluid and did not indicate they changed the filter.  Dealer claimed they don't do a filter change on the 10 speed until 90-100K miles.  Clearly the manual says filter at 45K on the severe schedule though.  Anyone else here know the details about the filter change intervals for the 10 speed?

They should have indicated that before they did the service.

Since they didn't, they should have done the work requested.

Fwiw, the 2021 regular duty maintenance schedule doesn't show a trans oil and filter change... ever.. (unless I missed it)

2023 schedule the same as '21.  Oil/filter not mentioned in regular duty, oil and filter every 45k for extreme duty.  

Even so, I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep about them not doing the transmission filter.

Did the transfer case oil get changed? (it is 45/50K for extreme, and 95/100 for regular)

Agreed.  The dealer's excuse for not doing the filter as I requested per the severe schedule when dropping off was that GM didn't require it to be done on a 10 speed until 90-100K miles.  You are correct, the manual doesn't even indicate an interval for changing trans fluid and filter on the normal schedule, but with 115 degree ambient temps, traffic, idling, and towing, I always follow the severe schedule to be safe.  They did at least change the transfer case, and insisted the front and rear differentials be done on the same severe 45K mile interval, despite those not being listed on the standard OR severe schedule.    

1 hour ago, tjonesdfw said:

Agreed.  The dealer's excuse for not doing the filter as I requested per the severe schedule when dropping off was that GM didn't require it to be done on a 10 speed until 90-100K miles.  You are correct, the manual doesn't even indicate an interval for changing trans fluid and filter on the normal schedule, but with 115 degree ambient temps, traffic, idling, and towing, I always follow the severe schedule to be safe.  They did at least change the transfer case, and insisted the front and rear differentials be done on the same severe 45K mile interval, despite those not being listed on the standard OR severe schedule.    

Lazy Basta*ds didn't want to drop the Y pipe but sucked up all the gravy jobs that also "didn't need to be done"  this is why dealer service gets bad names  plus if you ever were to see the crew working back in the shop you likely would not let em rotate the tires much less anything else.

Our local Lithia group has hired ZZ Top AND Post Malone to work here.

I had to Put up Post Malone as I had never heard of him but saw him on CBS Sunday morning as one of the TOP Artists of the day, we had never heard of him.

I only use the dealer because I don’t want to have any excuse on this one for a warranty claim denial, since it’s been in the shop for repeat major warranty work more than anything I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a lot of trucks! I’ve declined their song and dance about how it really needs a throttle body and fuel system clean every visit since 15k miles.  I’ve heard at least 3 people fall for it though at their service writers desks and it just makes me cringe.   The last three visits of mine, they’ve broken something that wasn’t broken in the process of doing warranty work, and then had to order parts to fix those issues, that THEY created.  The incompetency and lack of quality control is off the charts.  No pride or honesty left in the dealership world it seems! 

• 2 weeks later...

Amen to that, not much pride or honesty left in any industry it seems!

On 8/24/2024 at 4:53 AM, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

No pride or honesty left in the dealership world it seems! 

It's not just the dealership world!!

Edited by tjonesdfw
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure… but look up on Allison website.  If an “external filter”, DIY… Allison website is easy to navigate.. at least last time I checked.

Iur 2017 has 98k miles, 4 transmission external filter changes… cheap insurance… we tow 10k # bumper pull about 1/2 the miles.. 65 and slower.. totally STOCK truck except new shocks, tires, filters and all fluids including the differential and transfer case.4x4… I run Michelin tires on 17”stock wheels. 

I upgraded at 95k to the Castrol Transynd .. huge diff pin transmission performance.  I did NoT “drop the pan”… as the transmission was working flawlessly before…The other lubes are spec.

So, dealers make $.. it’s their job… look at the bright side… they did not oversell… and may have filled your “blinker fluid”… 😉

On 9/8/2024 at 12:53 AM, cfell said:

Not sure… but look up on Allison website.  If an “external filter”, DIY… Allison website is easy to navigate.. at least last time I checked.

Iur 2017 has 98k miles, 4 transmission external filter changes… cheap insurance… we tow 10k # bumper pull about 1/2 the miles.. 65 and slower.. totally STOCK truck except new shocks, tires, filters and all fluids including the differential and transfer case.4x4… I run Michelin tires on 17”stock wheels. 

I upgraded at 95k to the Castrol Transynd .. huge diff pin transmission performance.  I did NoT “drop the pan”… as the transmission was working flawlessly before…The other lubes are spec.

So, dealers make $.. it’s their job… look at the bright side… they did not oversell… and may have filled your “blinker fluid”… 😉

His is the 1500 10sp.  It has internal filter and will not take the Castrol Transynd.  Only the ULV dexron.

• Like 2