Need advice please help

I sold my 2015 Serra 1500. I'm trying to decide between a 2021 silverado RST z71 with a 5.3 18,000 miles. Other truck is a 2024 silverado LT with a 2.7 turbo. With 11,000 miles. Both trucks about same price. Just really nervous to go with the 2.7. But I way like the 2024 better. It still has over 2 years factory warranty left. No warranty on 21. Any advice would help. Just don't know what to go with.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, 15 Z71 said:

I sold my 2015 Serra 1500. I'm trying to decide between a 2021 silverado RST z71 with a 5.3 18,000 miles. Other truck is a 2024 silverado LT with a 2.7 turbo. With 11,000 miles. Both trucks about same price. Just really nervous to go with the 2.7. But I way like the 2024 better. It still has over 2 years factory warranty left. No warranty on 21. Any advice would help. Just don't know what to go with.  Thanks!

2.7 Turbomax is a fantastic little engine.  I have one (2022.5) and I love it.  And that's coming from a couple 6.0 HDs, two 5.3 1500s and a 2.8 Duramax.  Easily my top engine of them that I've had, with the 2.8 Duramax right behind it (as slow as it was lol) and then the V8s.  If I had a do-over right now on a new 2024, I would pick the Turbomax again, or the 3.0 Duramax if funds were non issue.  

2024 Turbomax gets the 5yr/100k mi powertrain warranty as well, the only gas engine in the 1500s that does and only one of two engines that does in the 1500s, the other being the 3.0 Duramax.  5.3 and 6.2 are 5yr/60k mi.

Oh and the current LT dash is much better than the older dash.  

2021 is a problem year for DFM lifter failure and them eating camshafts when they fail, unless you can find one with the YK9 RPO code which is DFM disabled due to chip shortage.  

Have you driven both back to back to see how they drive to you?  

At the end of the day, its how YOU feel about it.  You can read for hours on Facebook groups "eww a 4 cylinder?!?" "sounds like a Honda!".  How do YOU feel about both options. 

To me?  How the engine sounds is a wash compared to how it drives, tows, etc.  The Turbomax tows 9000-9500lbs (depending on configuration), 310hp and 430 ft.lbs torque, and can (IMO) do everything the 5.3 can but better.  Even MPG has been better for me, currently my lifetime MPG in 24,000mi is 19.2mpg where in my 2012 5.3 it was 15.9mpg, and my 2019 old body 16.5mpg.  I can get about 20-22mpg per tank in spring/summer/fall, about 17-19mpg per tank winter vs. 13-15mpg winter with the 5.3s and 16-18mpg spring/summer/fall. 

Do I love V8 sound?  You bet.  Do I miss them when looking at the whole package so far?  Nope.  I can always buy something down the line with a V8 if I need that emotional sound connection again.     

Edited by newdude

18 minutes ago, newdude said:

2.7 Turbomax is a fantastic little engine.  I have one (2022.5) and I love it.  And that's coming from a couple 6.0 HDs, two 5.3 1500s and a 2.8 Duramax.  Easily my top engine of them that I've had, with the 2.8 Duramax right behind it (as slow as it was lol) and then the V8s.  If I had a do-over right now on a new 2024, I would pick the Turbomax again, or the 3.0 Duramax if funds were non issue.  

2024 Turbomax gets the 5yr/100k mi powertrain warranty as well, the only gas engine in the 1500s that does and only one of two engines that does in the 1500s, the other being the 3.0 Duramax.  5.3 and 6.2 are 5yr/60k mi.

Oh and the current LT dash is much better than the older dash.  

2021 is a problem year for DFM lifter failure and them eating camshafts when they fail, unless you can find one with the YK9 RPO code which is DFM disabled due to chip shortage.  

Have you driven both back to back to see how they drive to you?  

At the end of the day, its how YOU feel about it.  You can read for hours on Facebook groups "eww a 4 cylinder?!?" "sounds like a Honda!".  How do YOU feel about both options. 

To me?  How the engine sounds is a wash compared to how it drives, tows, etc.  The Turbomax tows 9000-9500lbs (depending on configuration), 310hp and 430 ft.lbs torque, and can (IMO) do everything the 5.3 can but better.  Even MPG has been better for me, currently my lifetime MPG in 24,000mi is 19.2mpg where in my 2012 5.3 it was 15.9mpg, and my 2019 old body 16.5mpg.  I can get about 20-22mpg per tank in spring/summer/fall, about 17-19mpg per tank winter vs. 13-15mpg winter with the 5.3s and 16-18mpg spring/summer/fall. 

Do I love V8 sound?  You bet.  Do I miss them when looking at the whole package so far?  Nope.  I can always buy something down the line with a V8 if I need that emotional sound connection again.     

I'm completely ok with a 4 cylinder.  I'm more worried about how it will hold up over 8 or 9 years. I literally did nothing to my 15 5.3 but change oil. It had 129,000 and still ran great. Can't really find anything on people who have high mileage ones. 

On 8/8/2024 at 8:42 PM, 15 Z71 said:

I'm completely ok with a 4 cylinder.  I'm more worried about how it will hold up over 8 or 9 years. I literally did nothing to my 15 5.3 but change oil. It had 129,000 and still ran great. Can't really find anything on people who have high mileage ones. 

I am a V8 guy. Always have been. Search the various topics on here about the 2.7 litre using oil. That said, a V8 can also burn oil. As newdude said its really up to you to choose. I really like the big screen in the newer trucks but I will purchase and drive V8s until they quit building them.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 8:21 PM, newdude said:

This does not stop lifter failure... The only thing not there is the Chipset. ALL of the mechanical parts are still there and still prone to the same failures.

2 hours ago, lennybg said:

This does not stop lifter failure... The only thing not there is the Chipset. ALL of the mechanical parts are still there and still prone to the same failures.

I've yet to see a YK9 truck have a failure.  Its not a 100% guarantee of no failure, but it being off is a significant reduction in failure rate.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PunchT37 said:

I`m a v8 guy. But, if you can get by the sound of the 2.7 and don`t pull heavy stuff, I might go `24 with the 2.7. 6 yrs of age with the basic same price.

I like the V-8 sound almost as much as the sensation of speed. When Ford first came out with the turbo V-6 I saw on one of the motor trend tv shows. A simple hand held tuner add 100 hp for just a few hundred dollars. Now that’s impressive. Of course people will say you’ll sap the life out of them doing that. As a lifelong modifier I find that’s not the case. You’re not always testing the limits of your vehicle. I have four vehicles in my yard currently. The V-8 powered is the slowest. My mini van is among the quickest. It’s amazing what technology has produced with engines in the last decade. 

No one knows right now, these engines are still too new to discuss the longevity of them with any kind of accuracy. They do seem to be performing well so far, i mean it is not like the 5.3 is a nock your socks of motor, kind of long in the tooth today imo, same for the 6.2, they have not been updated much in over 10 years now.

9 hours ago, 15 Z71 said:

Bought a 2024 crew cab 4x4 2.7. Love the truck but no original window sticker.  How can I find out exactly what trim it is?

Inside the drivers door is a sticker with a QR code. Scan it with your phone and it will decode the RPO numbers. RPO codes are the trucks DNA. They will tell you what it was built with.